what router for my ibook

Reaction score
I just recently purchased a used Ibook. Its the 14" 1.42ghz and is my first mac. I'm looking to set up a wireless network in my home and I'm not sure what router to get. I would be having 1 PC non wireless, 1 pc wireless, and my ibook wireless (the ibook has airport extreme in it). What would be a decent router to get to support this and still have a solid connection? My house only has a ground floor and a basement. I'm new to this and just need a little help.

Thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Just about any wireless router will do just fine in a house of that size. I'd stick to the major vendors (Linksys, D-Link or Netgear). If you intend to do any kind of high-bandwidth activities (like transferring large files within your network or streaming video), it would be wise to consider one of the "N"-based routers.

My recommendations would be the D-Link DIR-655 (and N-based router) or for a less expensive option, the Linksys WRT54G.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.