Xp on new macbook pro battery probs

Reaction score
Hello
I recently got the new Macbook pro 15 inches. It's a really nice laptop that can run on battery for 5-6 hours in the OSX software. But I recently installed Windows XP, and when I open up in XP it can only run on battery for like one hour? How come? I've updated all the battery drivers I think...?

Can someone please help me.

Sincerly
Kenneth

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How about the power saver settings in Windows? More than likely the MBP is running full steam in XP. Won't take long to suck a battery dry that way. Also take a look at what's running that could be using the CPU or GPU. Open the Task Manager and find out.

Regards.

OP
K
Reaction score
where is the task manager? My battery settings is normal. Well I have like 5 programs total installed on the computer. So it's not like its taking a lot of battery power. The computer is only 3 days old.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To access the Task Manager while in XP, press Control, Alt, Delete. The Task Manager will open and from the dialog you can see which programs are running and how much of the CPU they're using.

Did you check all your power saver settings in Windows such as: display off, hard drive off, and so on?

Regards.

OP
K
Reaction score
Its only using aproximately 4% of the CPU, theres a lot of ''programs'' open, but I just think it's some programs windows needs to run. its things like scchost.exe and a lot of other programs with names like that.

In my power saver settings the settings are:
'Max battery''
And never to all the others.

OP
K
Reaction score
bump..
can anyone help me please?
Besides the battery issue, the computer is running flawless in windows..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alienware,mbp,imac(3),blackjack,Hp running macintosh,
NOOOO you are all wrong this has been a recent issue at my work which i easily fixed Okay here is what i am guessing the problem is....

First plz state: if your using parells or any other osx based transistor or if you are using boot camp then i can further assit

In the mean time Hard wire your lap top to your charger because you are drasticly hrting ur batterty life and turn down ur screen brightness

Reaction score
Yep, Im having the same problem also and Im also using bootcamp. If I install via vmware though, the battery life significantly improves.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hi again
Im using boot camp. So i've only got windows open.

In a previous reply you stated that your Windows setting for Power Saver was set to "Max Battery". This means that when you go to battery in Windows, it will allow maximum power to be used!

You need to change all your Power Saver settings when on battery to conserve battery power. Set the display to time out in like 5 minutes, hard drive to spin down in 10 minutes, CPU throttle back, and so forth. Otherwise you're going to suck that battery dry very fast especially if you play games or music, and or run videos.

Also, I advise you to get rid of AVG. It's a resource hog and will cause slow downs. The older version of AVG which is no longer supported was much better, however, the new version is a pig. I recommend using Avira PE instead. It's free and uses very little resources.

Avira AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus - Free software downloads and reviews - CNET Download.com

Regards.

OP
K
Reaction score
@chscag
Well I've tried all that, and it maybe changed the battery power 2-3 minutes. But I'll try to install Avira instead of AVG, but that shouldnt do the big difference, since the battery power was also low before I installes AVG.

@Tuesdays child

What's vmware? how long can your battery hold power now?

Reaction score
vmware fusion is a program that allows you to run xp or vista (or any other number of OS's in a virtual environment from osx. You dont need to reboot to switch to them abd can run them at the same time as OSX.

Its not free though but is very effective. I cant comment on battery life as Ive never run it from full charge to empty but its a darn sight better than running it via bootcamp. The main drawback is that it not as efficient as bootcamp with the processor. You only tend to see about 66% of the performance of running XP via bootcamp but for the occasional program use its fine.

Im sure there must be a reason why bootcamp drains the battery so much though as I dont believe XP to be 4x as draining as OSX.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.