PC Migration Question

G

grapejuice12

I've got a quick question. With my recent ibook purchase I want migrate my media (pics, movies, mp3s) over. Since my pc has two physical hard drives, an os, and media drive, can I just pull out the media hard drive and slap it in an external usb/firewall enclosure and be able to access it from both my PC and ibook w/o any problems? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
yes, depending on the format of that media hd, or you can network the mac and pc via an ethernet cable and trannsfer the files that way.

OP
P

proudlywelsh83

Mac's cant understand NTFS so if your drive is formatted this way then you will have a problem, likelyhood id that your are running Windows XP in this case its most likely your drive is formatted as NTFS in this case the external drive bay method wont work. As MacMan said network the two machines, quite simply with a Crossover cable, set the IP on the one machine as 192.168.0.100, SubNet 255.255.255.0 with no gateway and the same on the mac but using 192.168.0.50 as the ip. Click Go, Connect to server smb://iaddress/sharename in finder or press apple-K.

Your will be prompted for a username and password, enter this and you now have a mapped network drive to your windows machines Hard Disk.

Copy your files directly over.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.