iphoto editing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Specs: MacBook Intel CD 2GHz, 2G, 120G (White)
Hi guys & girls.

I tried to edit and crop a few of my photo's i added to iphoto.
however when I view them outside of iphoto using another photo
viewer the changes havent been done. is there a way so i can edit
them in iphoto and have it change the originals photos???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I tried to edit and crop a few of my photo's i added to iphoto...is there a way so i can edit them in iphoto and have it change the originals photos?

After editing the photos, make sure you Save As (not just Save), giving the 'new' photo a slightly different name (I often just insert a digit after the name so it gets saved as, for example, from Jimbo to Jimbo1).

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Specs: MacBook Intel CD 2GHz, 2G, 120G (White)
Where abouts is the option to save?
Incase I didn't explain myself so well.. I'm trying to edit my pictures
in iphoto, but after editing them if I look at the original file it hasn't changed.
Any help? thanks =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Where abouts is the option to save? ... after editing them if I look at the original file it hasn't changed.

My apologies - I didn't check iPhoto since I don't use it for editing. There is no Save As, which is most unfortunate.

To run a test, I edited a photo I have in iPhoto. To the left of the image I'd cropped, there was an Information pane. After the name of the photo DSCFxxxx, I entered the letter B, just to change the name slightly. When I closed iPhoto, both changes were saved automatically.

When I reopened iPhoto, the altered pic/name was there. I then removed the B from the name and closed iPhoto once again. The change was saved automatically.

Another way you can do it is to drag the edited pic from iPhoto to your desktop, and then rename it from there.

You might want to try something different from iPhoto for basic photo editing. I use Preview or Xee for simple changes, or Graphic Converter for more complex editing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
Users are not meant to access their photos from the library in finder. If that is what you are doing, then you are accessing the "originals" folder and using the copy that iPhoto keeps so that you can return to the original if you want to start over. Your modified photo would be in the "modified" folder.

Having said that, I strongly suggest you stay out of the library in finder. Corruption can ensue, making the app unusable. If you will use the version of your photo that you can access from the iPhoto app, you will be using the most recent version. To access them from outside of iPhoto, simply drag them to the desktop and access from there, or use the export function and export to your desktop (using the export function will give you the option to choose what size you want to use). At any rate, stay out of the library in finder and you will be much happier.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.