New iBook Owner! Need help with OS X...

P

PrimeRib

Conversion Complete!

I picked up my new "baby" last week on Sat, took my roomie with me and snagged $50 off the 12' iBook thru the educator discount, got another stick of 512Ram from Crucial and loaded it up no problem. So far, runs like a dream.

Obviously, getting used to the new OS is taking awhile. Can anyone recommend a good book with OS shortcuts, tutorials, walkthroughs and the like for OS X and perhaps some of the included apps (Safari, iChat, etc..) I want to get to know my newest lappy even better and I feel like a blind man who sees the light, but is still feeling his way for the exit....

OP
G

grapejuice12

PrimeRib said:
Conversion Complete!

I picked up my new "baby" last week on Sat, took my roomie with me and snagged $50 off the 12' iBook thru the educator discount, got another stick of 512Ram from Crucial and loaded it up no problem. So far, runs like a dream.

Obviously, getting used to the new OS is taking awhile. Can anyone recommend a good book with OS shortcuts, tutorials, walkthroughs and the like for OS X and perhaps some of the included apps (Safari, iChat, etc..) I want to get to know my newest lappy even better and I feel like a blind man who sees the light, but is still feeling his way for the exit....

Congrats on switching? Did you get the "official" ibook memory from crucial or did you opt for the lower cost version?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
there are many books, but one of the easiest and chapest ways to learn the os is using apples support site or mac help.

OP
P

PrimeRib

grapejuice12 said:
Congrats on switching? Did you get the "official" ibook memory from crucial or did you opt for the lower cost version?

Considering I spent $130 on the 512 Stick, prolly the "Apple approved" more expensive one. ;( Hey, it works, and thats the most impt thing....

So Apple's HELP is best? I've attempted to use it but found it lacking. For instance, I'm used to windows resizing, maximizing and minimizing windows and when i typed in search "resize window" got nothing back that told me how to resize it to "full screen" (finally saw the bottom right hand corner and clicked/dragged to full screen)
Anyway, something like a program or tutorial may be best, though I'd want something that helped other users already, something recommended and useful for new Mac users as a companion to learning the OS. Suggestions?

OP
P

proudlywelsh83

Having only had my MAC for a week found the best thing is to just use it you soon find your way around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" G4 1.2 GHz iBook 768mb
PrimeRib said:
Anyway, something like a program or tutorial may be best, though I'd want something that helped other users already, something recommended and useful for new Mac users as a companion to learning the OS. Suggestions?

The Missing Manual
by David Pogue

I've seen it listed several times on this forum and saw it for myself at the Apple Store. Thumbed through it and it seems extremely thorough. Covers OSX and all of its included programs.

OP
P

proudlywelsh83

Might take a look at that myself, Off to the new regent street store in London next month, I can see thats going to be an expensive day

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
PrimeRib said:
Considering I spent $130 on the 512 Stick, prolly the "Apple approved" more expensive one. ;( Hey, it works, and thats the most impt thing....

Actually, that's the cheaper one. Apple's 512 for the iBook costs about twice that or more. I got the 1 GB from MemoryToGo (which was excellent on service and very quick to ship, if anyone's interested in a good RAM seller), and it cost me 220 WITH shipping, whereas Apple's is 600. They're pretty darned expensive on RAM. you made out pretty well paying 130.

OP
P

PrimeRib

Meyvn said:
Actually, that's the cheaper one. Apple's 512 for the iBook costs about twice that or more. I got the 1 GB from MemoryToGo (which was excellent on service and very quick to ship, if anyone's interested in a good RAM seller), and it cost me 220 WITH shipping, whereas Apple's is 600. They're pretty darned expensive on RAM. you made out pretty well paying 130.

Really? I saw a post a few days back that said on Crucials website they were selling the 2700 Ram modules for $30 less (which work fine, as the iBook simply underclocks them to work at 2100) - for that reason, I thought I paid too much. Oh well, cant win the frugality war in EVERYTHING... ;)

Thanks for the tips. I've been reading the user comments on the "Lost Manual" book at Amazon last night - almost ordered it until I remembered I have a Barnes and Noble gift card. Take a guess where that'll be spent this weekend...

-Prime

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.