macbook cooling?

Reaction score
i got a new macbook pro. this is my first mac (i've been waiting forever to get one) i'm just wondering how this this cools itself. where does the air intake and what not? because there's no grate anywhere. and i always use it on my lap and i don't wanna be frying this thing. it was too expensive. haha ps i'm sorry if this was a really dumb question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB 2.1GHz, 4Gb RAM, 120Gb white
Heat comes out the keyboard i believe... So don't run things with the lid down :p serious heat :)

p.s. I may be wrong, just going by what i've been told

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
i got a new macbook pro. this is my first mac (i've been waiting forever to get one) i'm just wondering how this this cools itself. where does the air intake and what not? because there's no grate anywhere. and i always use it on my lap and i don't wanna be frying this thing. it was too expensive. haha ps i'm sorry if this was a really dumb question.

MacBook machines use convection cooling. Heat is forced out through the small openings in the rear and up from the keyboard. Your Pro has two fans which are regulated by thermal sensors and will spin faster as the machine heats up due to the GPU or CPU working harder.

Download and install the free widget "iStatPro" to monitor the fan speeds and temperatures: iStat pro, a Dashboard Widget by iSlayer

There is also a free fan controller app called "smcFanControl" which can be downloaded from here: Download smcFanControl 2.1.3.1 for Mac - Control Intel Mac fans to make it run cooler. MacUpdate Mac Software Downloads

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Since this is your first mac I wouldn't suggest you downloading smcFanControl and messing around with the settings. You mac knows when it's getting too hot and will regulate the fan speeds on it's own.

You shouldn't have to worry about frying anything. Just your legs probably because every laptop gets pretty hot after a while.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Your legs will get too hot before the computer does. They are no longer 'laptops', but 'notebooks' instead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
MacBook Pro Unibody First Look

There are some pictures of the fans; you can click back and forth to see how it's all put together.

The basic rules are in your manual (Maximum operating environment, don't run in while it's wrapped up in a sleve) and that's really all there is to it.

Don't try to out-think the fans using smcFanControl, don't obsess over your iStat readings. Believe it or not, Apple actually has engineers working in well-equipped laboratories that test these things, and a warranty in case yours is defective. If you take things into your own hands, you forego your warranty and you're on your own.

Reaction score
please help me...

MacBook machines use convection cooling. Heat is forced out through the small openings in the rear and up from the keyboard. Your Pro has two fans which are regulated by thermal sensors and will spin faster as the machine heats up due to the GPU or CPU working harder.

Download and install the free widget "iStatPro" to monitor the fan speeds and temperatures: iStat pro, a Dashboard Widget by iSlayer

There is also a free fan controller app called "smcFanControl" which can be downloaded from here: Download smcFanControl 2.1.3.1 for Mac - Control Intel Mac fans to make it run cooler. MacUpdate Mac Software Downloads

Regards.

I downloaded smcfancontrol but whn i go to save my settings it asks for my ps of an acct w/admin privileges. well i am the only user nd i have the admin privileges. I canged my name/pw to try and see if that worked, it didnt. i went into key chain but i dont see anything that i need to change. how do i get past this point? please help!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
If you cannot remember the password u used to set up the User initially you can press the power button load the install disc hold down C key and once you get into the install process check drop down menus for Change Password. Only change your User password and leave the rest. Quit and reboot off HD as usual and make sure you have a record of the password for later use.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.