Lost internet connection on Windows side after OS X 10.5 firmware update

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac running Leopard OSX 10
I am running windows XP pro on bootcamp. After upgrading firmware on the OS X 10.5 side, I lost internet connection on the windows side, however, the internet connection is still fast and stable on the Mac side of things. In windows, my wireless connection is up and running, but my LAN is not. I have a wireless Lynksys router. I'd really like to maintain my internet connection on the windows side as I need to download windows-only programs. Any ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What firmware update are you referring to? Also, as far as reestablishing your connection on the Windows side, have you tried to remove the connection and then go through the wireless wizard setup once more?

Regards.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It was a routine upgrade from Mac. Not sure on the specifics I guess, nor if that was what caused this issue, but timing was awfully coincidental. Tried all the wizards on windows side of things, tried reinstalling the drivers from the OS X software, nothing.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK. Some things to try:

Hook an ethernet cable (cat 5 cable) from the router to the iMac just to see if when in Windows you can get on the internet. (Since wireless is working on the OS X side we will assume all the hardware is functioning properly.)

If you can connect when the ethernet cable is plugged in, it's more than likely a setting that's preventing Windows from connecting wireless. Back to wireless.....

If you know how to access your router's setup menu, temporarily turn off all security from the router (assuming you're using some form of data encryption for wireless transmission) and make sure Windows "sees" the SSID broadcast (name of your network) and is using the correct channel.

Let us know.

Regards.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, my LAN ethernet connection goes from having a red x to a yellow exclamation when connected directly to the modem and says limited or no connectivity. It then says it could not retrieve an IP address. My router does not have a ethernet cable option to directly connect it to the mac. I cannot access my routers admin function/setup menu (have never been able to actually-which is frustrating in and of itself). I tried manually using the IP address that the mac side sees and it says it is already in use. It sounds like a communication or security issue between the router and the driver on the windows side, but I don't know. I'm at an impasse.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Something I forgot to ask you before... Are you using any kind of encryption for the wireless? If you are, turn it off temporarily and let it broadcast in the clear until you can re-establish a connection in Windows. If you're not using any kind of encryption, just disregard.

It sounds like the modem - router is not generating an IP address that Windows understands. What's strange here is that it works OK on the OS X side which means an IP address is being generated. ***?

You should be able to get into the router's setup menu. Can you contact your ISP (assuming your ISP provided you with the router) and ask what the userid and password are to enter setup? Usually, the userid is "admin" and the password is either a null (no entry), "user", or "admin".

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.