Invalid extent PEOF, HD wont mount

Q

quick print

Mac froze, when restarted couldnt find HD, booted from disk, disk aid checked HD, Said "invalid extent file PEOF, 3, 0" and cannot fix. Computer prompts to initiate HD disk, will loose everything. Can anyone help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
You need to get an application designed to recover your data, such as TechTool Pro 4.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
OP
B

Badger

I had occassion to use Norton' Utilities, Techtool Pro and Diskwarrior on a client's machine that had a similar problem. (He had a $25,000 book translation due in two days and no backups.) Norton's crashed the computer, TechTool recognized the problem but couldn't/wouldn't fix it, Diskwarrior nailed it on the first try. Since that experience Diskwarrior is my first choice.

OP
Q

quick print

Thanks for everyones help. I got a copy of Disk Warrior and it fixed the hard drive like it was nothing. Reinstalled 9.2 and im up and running.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
Badger said:
…Norton's crashed the computer, TechTool recognized the problem but couldn't/wouldn't fix it…

You should have known better than to use Norton's for data recovery.

What was the message that you got indicating that TechTool Pro couldn't/wouldn't fix it?

OP
B

Badger

I don't remember the exact message but it was something unhelpful like (TechTool) "has found a problem it can't fix." Then it said something about trying to copy the data and then reformat the disk. As for Norton's, I've used one version or another for so many years that it was a reflex to try it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
never use norton products.
and its great that disk warrior fixed it, but many people dont understand its uses and when to use it or that it could have damaged your computer worse than it already was.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Badger said:
I don't remember the exact message but it was something unhelpful like (TechTool) "has found a problem it can't fix." Then it said something about trying to copy the data and then reformat the disk. As for Norton's, I've used one version or another for so many years that it was a reflex to try it.

Badger, Thanks for the response.

I used Norton pre-OS X, but haven't touched it in 10.

I've set my system up with TechTool Pro as the watchdog, so I was quite interested when you had a problem that it couldn't fix. Did you have your environment setup with their recovery safeguards? I'm hoping "no", so that I might not have a similar type problem on recovery. I do backup my systems weekly (more often depending on activity), so it's not like I would lose a lot if I couldn't recover.

OP
B

Badger

This was a client's machine with an early version of X. He had no recovery or protection installed. As for NUM, it's a dead issue because it's a dead product. Personally I thought it had lost its edge when Techtool 3 came out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.