mac security & dodgy messenger link

Reaction score
Hello i have very recently bought a new mac and was looking for any helpful information on protecting my macbook from the anarchic digital world out there.

Is a clean install recommended and if so do i just stick the dvd in the macbook?

I have heard things about setting up two user accounts and logging in on one that is not an administrator. Is this a good idea? And what does this actually mean for security?

This evening whilst logged onto my messenger account via adium, i was sent a very dubious link from someone or something purporting to be a friend in japan that was not online at the time. shortly after this i was logged off and logged in elsewhere?! Any ideas, apple say its a messenger problem and that i needn't worry about my mac being taken over.

My question regarding this is should i be concerned at all, if so what should i do to stop this from happening again in the future and is my macbook being watched?

big thanks :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
Hello i have very recently bought a new mac and was looking for any helpful information on protecting my macbook from the anarchic digital world out there.

Is a clean install recommended and if so do i just stick the dvd in the macbook?

I have heard things about setting up two user accounts and logging in on one that is not an administrator. Is this a good idea? And what does this actually mean for security?

This evening whilst logged onto my messenger account via adium, i was sent a very dubious link from someone or something purporting to be a friend in japan that was not online at the time. shortly after this i was logged off and logged in elsewhere?! Any ideas, apple say its a messenger problem and that i needn't worry about my mac being taken over.

My question regarding this is should i be concerned at all, if so what should i do to stop this from happening again in the future and is my macbook being watched?

big thanks :)

I dont' think you need to do a clean install. Unlike windoze, it doesn't come with all that bloat ware. There are some programs that come with the operating system but isn't anywhere near the bloatware you get on a regular PC. Start that thing up and enjoy it!

That's the lovely thing about Mac. It already does it for you. So really you don't even need to create another account. You can't do to much damage unless it prompts you for a passoword to install updates and what not. Never type in your password unless you did something that prompted it!

I think you are being overly paranoid. You must have just recently switched over from windoze. I'm not quite understanding what you mean by "being logged in elsewhere." How did you know you were logged in elsewhere?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
No need to do a clean install.

And just stick with the standard Admin account.

Spam on Adium is common - you need to go into Privacy Settings and choose Only Allow Certain contacts.

Nothing would have happened if you'd clicked on a dodgy link anyway. All that is likely to happen is that you would start downloading a file that would only work on Windows.

The only security measures you need to take are to avoid clicking on bank emails which take you to fake sites that want your bank password.

OP
K
Reaction score
hey thanks for your replies. to answer tkim's question, an error box appeared that said that it logged off and had logged on in a different location?!

i have very recently switched to mac and had come from using a very old dell that also had similar occurrences with the logging out and switching location thing. my worry i think with this being my first mac and new to the system and the apparent no need for virus protection is that i may leave myself a bit more open to the world!

i also think i am being overly paranoid however i thought to ease my mind i would put this out to the world and see what came back. thank you for your replies :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
hey thanks for your replies. to answer tkim's question, an error box appeared that said that it logged off and had logged on in a different location?!

i have very recently switched to mac and had come from using a very old dell that also had similar occurrences with the logging out and switching location thing. my worry i think with this being my first mac and new to the system and the apparent no need for virus protection is that i may leave myself a bit more open to the world!

i also think i am being overly paranoid however i thought to ease my mind i would put this out to the world and see what came back. thank you for your replies :)

That's strange, I've experienced that before but never on my mac. Maybe if you have it to auto sign in on someone else's PC, everytime they start their computer maybe it logs you in unexpectedly? Thus, when you log in on your PC it says you are already logged in??

I can tell you recently switched. I was kind of paranoid about that stuff too before I switched. I hated constantly having to run spyware remover and scan my PC with my antivirus. Not anymore!!!

There is always a chance you can get a virus but it won't effect your PC, you will just be a "carrier" and spread it to other people. So you may still want to be careful of what you click on and what not.

Welcome to the world of Mac!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.