Everything looks better on a Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
Is it just me or does anyone come across this? I work on a WIN2K Pro machine at work and I also have a WinXP box here too and they both hurt my eyes after only a few hours. When i get home, it seems i can be on my mac for hours on end without straining or hurting my eyes at all. the lighting is actually better here at work than it is at home, and yet the Mac is still better.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
S

StealthMode

I agree also, I can't stand using m pcs anymore because of the eye strain. I'd rather use my mac any day. And it's not because the res is to high either. I used to think my display was great, till I got my mac, then that all changed :D

Stealth -

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
I agree it just seems to flow so perfectly. The horizontal lines in aqua and brushed steal, both help your eyes. where as vertical lines would make your eye site try to close and center its points (causing eye strain)... though, I don't think Windows has vertical lines.. and i don't think apples eye pleasing qualities has anything to do with horizontal lines.

D

dziner

Completely agree with all of you. I'm on WinXP at work and OS X at home. It's so nice and comforting to go home and look at everything on OS X. MS Word looks horrible on my PC, yet when I launch it on my Mac it looks very nice. Fonts look much nicer in OS X too. Even though I'm using XP - the folders still look the same way they did back in 98 or 95. You'd think they would update stuff.

C

chaotic light

I really can't stand the new cartoony look of windows XP, despite the fact that I end up using windows machines more often. However, I wish OS X looked more like the new netscape. The new Netscape is sleek...high tech looking...beautiful. Dont get me wrong, OS X is nice. But being a sci-fi geek it looks more like a piece of designer art then it does a futuristic computer interface.

And when are we gonna have a 3d OS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
But then we'll have artists saying, OS X is nice, but being an artist it looks like a sci-fi geeks paradise and I wish it looked more artsy. You can't please everyone I am afraid, but that's why there are programs like shapeshifter so that you can please yourself :)

F

Fahrvergnugen

I found once I moved to an LCD monitor eyestrain decreased significantly (Win or Mac)...

J

JohnXE

Sounds like you also might use a CRT at work and a flat panel at home. I use a flatpanel for both Mac and PC and neither bother me at all, but when I use a CRT it pisses me off to no end.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I guess I have good eyes cause no monitor bothers me - but everything looks better on a Mac!

S

SogniX

Guys with eyestrain,
my guess is you are all using CRTs,
Try changing the refresh rate and doing a calibration on it.
Also stay away from cheap CRTs - there's a reason why they're so cheap. :p

My problem is that I think I need glasses! :(

Reaction score
Sogni said:
Guys with eyestrain,
my guess is you are all using CRTs,
Try changing the refresh rate and doing a calibration on it.
Also stay away from cheap CRTs - there's a reason why they're so cheap. :p

My problem is that I think I need glasses! :(

The refresh-rate tip certainly is correct. I have to use a Windows machine at work, and they recently updated all the machines (Dells). I noticed them flickering under the fluorescent lights.

I went into the monitor control and poked around, then clicked on Advanced and some other button or buttons that I can't recall. I found that the default on all the machines is 60 Megahertz (why???), the same as AC current in North America, so looking the screen all day was like looking at a TV through a slow electric fan, causing eye strain and few headaches in various people. I bumped the refresh rate up to 100, and it helped immensely.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.