all graphic artist using Macs, I need your help, thank you

Reaction score
Switching Question Need Help

I am writing a paper for my business class, but i would like to ask for a favor.

I have to write a proposal paper where i suggest switching from PC's to MAC's
and my question is "Why SHOULD my imaginary advertising agency switch to all Mac-based computers?"

I have a couple general reasons that a normal windows user would switch to a mac, but i would like to be more specific and technical.

any help would be apreciated

thanks guys

OP
I
Reaction score
I am writing a paper for my business class, but i would like to ask for a favor.

and my question is "Why SHOULD my imaginary advertising agency switch to all Mac-based computers?"

I have a couple general reasons that a normal windows user would switch to a mac, but i would like to be more specific and technical.

thanks guys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2grz 2g Ram
You have Aperture for Mac; it's a great software for photographers and it is cheap. Lighroom is a mess (it goes for Mac and PCs however)

Dom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
"Why SHOULD my imaginary advertising agency switch to all Mac-based computers?"
There really is no concrete or valid reasoning for this.
There is absolutely no advantage of one system over the other.
The reason a company chooses a specific computer and/or OS relies on personal preference, and the only reasons you will obtain for one or the other is purely subjective and based solely on opinions, not facts.

Reaction score
Productivity issues. Time is money. The less time you spend on blue screens of death and waiting for windows to open, programs to decide if they are stable enough, networks to filter through - then the more time your employees will actually be doing work on their computers.

Spaces, quick window switching, expose, are really productivity time savers. Add that to the fact that most Apple computers are ready to rock within 20 seconds after hitting the power button.

Can't really compete with that productivity wise....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive

thanks guys

I found this helpful being a "switcher' myself:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/49147-switchers-guide-your-new-mac.html

Goes along with the whole "productivity" thing.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I don't think switching the whole company over to Macs is a great idea. Mainly because if everyone is use to PC and then all of a sudden they have to use a Mac it's going to take some time for everyone to relearn basic things. Like someone already said "time is money."

Everyone might also have learn how to use new software, and then there will be this huge learning curve plus there will be dead lines and this will cause unwanted stress. Plus if something goes wrong and you don't have a Mac expert to troubleshoot things are just going to get worst and worst.

I'd say just use what people are comfortable with. If you want you could always get a few Mac machines and ease everyone into them slowly.

OP
I
Reaction score
I knew that productivity would be a main reason, but i would like to know about the programs and how those programs could sway the company to switch.

I would mention that MAC's can run windows on them so we wouldn't be limited.

How about any testimonies from people who used to do work on PC's and how are doing work on MAC's?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro|MacBooks|iPhones|iPods|iPad
i don't think the programs would sway people because the same ones are available to windows.

the main reason i use them after the reliability factor is the longevity. i just recently updated my system but i used a powermac G5 for nearly 5 years and i used a G4 sawtooth for 4 years prior to that. while the upfront cost for the professional models may be more the length of time they can be used before you need to upgrade makes a big difference...at least to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.4GHz 320GB 4GB Ram ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory
I use PS extensively (5 to 10 hours a day) albeit as a hobby. I believed (without research) that a Mac would be better for graphics. Everyone assumed I used a Mac. I simply have not found it to be so. It is not better for graphics. In fact, I run PSCS4 in a Windows frame (new option). It is not worse, either. It is just different. On the other hand, unexpectedly and delightfully, I am wowed out by the lack of maintenance and problems. Really, a very nice bonus. But I have to agree with the poster above who said there is no valid or objective reason for making such a switch. Windows is high maintenance but for those of us who worked with it forever, that was just something that came with the flow and you got with it. Nice not to do it but perfectly able to do it. And no one will convince me strictly with anecdotal evidence that it takes up so much time to do that it would be worth the cost (training, hardware, software) to make the switch.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I use PS extensively (5 to 10 hours a day) albeit as a hobby. I believed (without research) that a Mac would be better for graphics. Everyone assumed I used a Mac. I simply have not found it to be so. It is not better for graphics. In fact, I run PSCS4 in a Windows frame (new option). It is not worse, either. It is just different...

Photoshop on a PC is almost identical to the Mac version. The key commands and the layout is a little different. However, it doesn't take a lot of brain power to figure out how to use PS on Mac if you have been using PS on Windows.

The part where Macs are just better for graphics. I have only heard this for 3D renderings but that's with like 10-20 Macs running overnight to render a car or something.

Reaction score
Productivity issues. Time is money. The less time you spend on blue screens of death and waiting for windows to open, programs to decide if they are stable enough, networks to filter through - then the more time your employees will actually be doing work on their computers.

Spaces, quick window switching, expose, are really productivity time savers. Add that to the fact that most Apple computers are ready to rock within 20 seconds after hitting the power button.

Can't really compete with that productivity wise....

I like what this guy said. Nowdyas i can't imagine working without spaces and expose. They all made my working areas so much cleaner and easier to understand.

I was a pc user for 15 years, made the switch and in less than a month i was already used to the mac way of things. Of course there are hard learners and closed minded people out there, but thats another story.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
In a professional environment, you are unlikely JUST to be using Photoshop. You'll be switching programs and views frequently - OS X is far more flexible with its floating window approach and tools like Expose and Spaces.

As for why should this hypothetical agency should switch (apart from the fact few ad agencies would dream of using Windows) - they'd have trouble recruiting decent staff because the creative industry is Mac trained. Most professionals wouldn't even apply for a job if they would have to use Windows.

Reaction score
Off subject question. What is everyone's fascination with Expose and Spaces, maybe I am missing something here since I am a new convert to Mac. I am a Windows / SQL Programmer by trade and wanted something different at home so I shut down my PC and bought a MacBook Pro about two weeks ago.

In the Windows world we can minimize and maximize all of our windows on the fly with hot keys (which I use endlessly) and there are plugin's to do spaces (which I never had a need for) as well. I guess I don't understand why everyone keeps bring this up, what am I missing.

Jeff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 15' - Ultimate Drive- 100GB hard drive
I have found Mac's to just be easier to use. A more sensible workflow. Less steps when saving and opening files.

Programs are always available in both windows and mac and usually more programs available for windows.

I found the photoshop works better with a mac, it feels like it was made for a mac, works more streamline with the OS. I know the program does the exact same things on both machines. But think about this Photoshop was created on a Mac and for a Mac, and then another version was created for Windows

Reaction score
I'm with Pmadis. Adobe was built for a Mac, it runs better, it's much nicer to use on a Mac. PC's are an inferior product, Microsoft can't keep up, is not an innovator, they copy OS X, the iPod and so on. Apple is cutting edge technology, with super clean and easy to use design. A quality product, for instance, a laptop built from metal and not plastic. Windows is sloppy and unstable. I've been a freelance designer for 13 years, having used PC's for much of that time, because I could not afford a Mac, I know the product well. Having been trained in College and now worked on a Mac for 3 or more years, I realize the Apple products are superior all the way around. From hardware, to software, to accessories. I just acquired an iPhone, downloaded the remote app, now, I can control my iTunes on my iMac from anywhere in the house. That's what I mean, Apple is innovative and quality all in one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
In the Windows world we can minimize and maximize all of our windows on the fly with hot keys (which I use endlessly)

Windows is quite rigid. Like a flipchart, you're kind of stuck with one page open at a time.
On OSX, it's more like have all your documents out in front of you and you pull the one you want to look at to the front.

You probably won't need to rely on this system as much unless your doing creative work. I constantly need to work between Photoshop, Quark, Illustrator, Mail, Safari, Dreamweaver etc. and need more flexibility rather than just being able to look at one at a time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.