iSCSI initiator in latest OS and Time Machine

Reaction score
Hi
I have seen threads and How To's saying that a new version of the OS for the Mac Pro will have a built in iSCSI initiator.

Is that old news? have I been reading old threads? does the current OS have this built in or are we still waiting?

it is probably a few months away before I buy a Mac yet anyway, so if it is on the way...how long to wait is there a release date?

I was hoping to use iSCSI to connect to a drive in my FreeNAS box and use that for Time Machine.

I have read numerous ways to make Time Machine use a NAS drive, so I know there are other ways.

Neil

Reaction score
I don't know about a new version with iscsi built in, but I'm currently using it with the globalsan initiator to backup a couple of laptops to iscsi disks on my server via time machine. It works pretty darned well overall. The only downside is that there's no way to recover from the time machine until the OS is reinstalled but OSX installs quickly enough that I really don't see it as much of a problem.

OP
N
Reaction score
Good to hear it works for you, I had read about people having problems with globalsan initiator, hence the question.

Reaction score
Good to hear it works for you, I had read about people having problems with globalsan initiator, hence the question.

Running on a G3, 1st gen MBP (core duo), and an early '08 MBP with no problems at all here ...

OP
N
Reaction score
I cant remember what the problem was, do not think it was a hardware issue, but anyway if it works it works,

Great

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.