More audio problems with 24" aluminum iMac in XP SP3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 3.06GHz, OSX Leopard/Win XP SP3, 500GB hd, 2GB RAM
So I got myself this iMac a couple months ago and I absolutely love this thing... except for the godawful Realtek sound chip causing (some) of my games to freeze the whole system, forcing a hard restart from the back power switch! In addition, when I'm running Winamp and playing music I will sometimes encounter a loud, static-sounding *pop* followed by the music completely fading out and then building back up to the proper volume, all in the space of about a second. This can also happen in other apps with lots of sound but is most noticable when playing music. I'm using a pair of Logitech Z-4 2.1 speakers which seem to work fine on my older HP system.

I'm open to any suggestions, but somehow I doubt there will be any help forthcoming until Realtek/Apple do some major work on the drivers for this sound chip. I have done all of the following to try and rectify the problem:

* Fully updated Boot Camp
* Fully updated Windows XP
* Updated DirectX, video drivers, Realtek audio drivers
* Ran an applet supplied by Intel, called the Intel(R) Chipset Device Software Installer. This is supposed to bring all motherboard drivers up-to-date.
* Ran the Auslogics disk defragmenter as well as C-Cleaner to completely optimize my system performance.
* Disabled Realtek High-Definition Audio in the Device Manager and ran one of the worst games - one called Puzzle Quest - which causes the system to freeze within 5 minutes of starting each and every time. With sound disabled the game ran for over half an hour problem-free.
* Re-enabled the sound chip in the Device Manager, and disabled sound in the Puzzle Quest game. It ran for a bit more than 5 minutes but still froze the system, in more like 10-15 minutes.

I don't know what else I could be missing, but again I'm open to any further suggestions.

In closing, it's really a **** shame that a system which is otherwise so freaking wonderful would be hobbled by one shoddy piece of hardware. I may have to buy a Creative USB sound module and risk a slight performance drop in other areas just to be able to fully use this system.

Come on, Apple! I see lots of other people complaining about this issue. Fix it already!

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 3.06GHz, OSX Leopard/Win XP SP3, 500GB hd, 2GB RAM
I've not heard of the sound driver freezing a machine, but for some reason Apple put an old, out of date driver on the Leopard DVD.

Links for the correct driver are on this page: Imac24" Realtek crappy wooshy sound!!! - Mac Forums

I'm kicking this yet again just for fun... also to add that I did indeed find the thread you're referencing. The solution in that thread just points you to the Realtek site for the latest driver download. I tried it both through the above thread and also a Google search and you end up in the same place either way. Sadly, the latest drivers are not the problem.

Also I should point out that the "pop and fade" effect just happened this morning when I was playing music in Front Row. But, it only happened one time and it's generally much more common in XP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.