External Display options

Reaction score
Ok I know this topic has been done to dead, but I would really appreciate some advice and personal opinion from the people in the know (ie you lot :)).

I want to get an external display for my new macbook (the 'old' model). I have done lots of research and I think I have narrowed it down to either;

Dell 24" Ultrasharp 2408 WFP,
Apple cinema display 23"
or
Apple cinema display 20".

I could afford any, but less is better. Size I am not sure on yet, I thought 20" would be more than enough (having used a 13" laptop for many years that is huge!), but maybe bigger is better when it comes to photo editing?
I am under the impression that the ACD are slightly better image quality, but the Dell is obviously bigger and cheaper. Am I right?
Is there any advantage in ease of connection by using the apple displays over another brand?

So what do you guys think on the various options? More than anything I just want any opinion you have. Cheers :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Apple Cinema displays are certainly nice, but too pricey for my budget. Just about any good quality display can be used with your MacBook. I'm currently using a Samsung 22" SyncMaster and it works great.

Just keep in mind that your MacBook (early 2008) has an Intel GMA X3100 graphics chipset which is good quality but not great for large Cinema displays.
As long as the LCD you purchase will display at its native resolution, it should work fine. So shop around and look for good deals. With the economy the way it is right now, lots of sales out there. Keep an eye out for Circuit City bargains as they're closing many of their stores to cut back on spending.

Regards.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.

I should mentioned I use my machine for photo editing, that is why I am looking for a larger external display. I am only an ametur, but I would like something for at least the same quality as my macbook screen as I am very keen to improve my skills in the next couple fo years.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.