• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

AVCHD formats through FCE4

Reaction score
I am considering purchasing a JVC GZ-HD10 High Definition Camcorder which records all its file on the camera to AVCHD format. I read on the Apple website that Final Cut Express 4 (the $200 version) can fully work with the AVCHD format just like a normal .mov extension file.

I have been using Apple computers for about 2.5 years, I have a Power Mac G5 (right before they switched to Intel chips, the dual 2.0Ghz processors) at home 3 hours away and also a MacBook Pro (2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM) here at school. I have plenty of confidence in my processor on my laptop to be capable of working with the FCE4 program and AVCHD files but my question is will the quality of video be as high as if I were to edit the video on my G5?

Also, are there any other video editing programs for Mac that allow me to edit AVCHD that are actually worth researching? I hear Sony Vegas can work with it and maybe Adobe Premier Pro (??) but Sony runs on PC and APP is $700, way out of my price range.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Reaction score
I'm having some trouble with iMovie actually using the settings I want in my output files, but I was thinking about FCE for my Canon HG-10 (also ACVHD). It seems like it is one of the top choices for Mac + ACVHD according to online reviews. I've been using a newish macbook for my Imovie processing and it seems to do just fine. I'm interested in what people think of FCE as well.

OP
N
Reaction score
you can work with AVCHD on iMovie HD?

if thats the case, i like iMovie a lot already.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
AVCHD is converted when iMovie or Final Cut fetches the content from the camera. They do not edit it in it's native format.

The FCE specs say that an Intel Mac is required to handle AVCHD files. To get AVCHD to work with your G5, you need VoltaicHD.

The G5 will be fine for editing, but the better the video card, the better the performance for some things. See the specs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15' - iMovie 09
Hi all,

First post on here so please go easy on me. On the same thread.... (I hope?)
I am looking to buying an iMac for the following.

I have a Sony HDR SR1 which uses the AVCHD format. I want to make home movies/snowboarding movies in this format. My question is this... I know that FCE 4 supports this format but will I be able to burn to a Blue ray disc and then play on a Blue ray player?

kind regards jonyfoz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Not with FCE, although you can likely edit the content.

Toast 9 is suppose to have some Blue-Ray burning capability, as does Adobe Premier.

You may be interested in the Bruce Nazarian article.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15' - iMovie 09
hey thanks

for your help xstep

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.