Macbook Pro Trial?

Reaction score
Hey all,

I used to be a huge Apple and Macintosh fan many years ago, due to reasons I'd rather not go into here, for the past 15 years I have been avidly on the other side of that fence, and swore I would never use an Apple product again.

Well... I need a laptop, a good one, suited for several different tasks, office work, programming (linux/unix specifically), graphics (photography and photoshop specifically), and... games. I'm willing to boot into windows for this though.

It needs to be rock solid reliable as I will use it the most often when the furthest from a service center and when shortest on time, so no viruses or glitching software.

I have to admit that the Macbook Pro seems ideal and I have learned a lot about it. I know some Mac users and they love their babies. I hope I will also.

So I am willing to give Mac another shot but it won't be the easiest sale.

I am more certain than not, it is the notebook I will end up buying. However with upgrades, it will be a nice whopping $3000, which is a lot of money, worse, the restocking fee, should I find I don't like it is $300 in that case.

I've tried using a non-pro macbook at Best Buy, however having to stand to use it and prop up the front to see the screen straight on more or less ruined the experence.

Ideally I would like to be able to just sit down with one for an hour or two and actually use it in the way it would be used in reality. No one buys a car without a test drive, well I suppose some people do. And what kind of test drive could you expect to perform, from outside the car?

I know businesses can get demo units before purchases but I'm not a business.

Can anyone give me any advice on this? I would be most thankful for any assistance.

-Musfuut

Reaction score
Perhaps setting up an "appointment" with an Apple "genius" at one of your local Apple stores can help. I'm not sure what their policies on test usage is, but you might be able to schedule a request to test out a MacBook Pro for an hour or so...

Try contacting Apple. You'll probably get better answers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.