• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Dvd Backup

T

thecitysleepz@m

I just got my first mac and I am in love! I am trying to copy a DVD onto my hardrive and I was wondering how I would do that? Would I need any programs? Any Help is appreciated! Thank you so much!

-vince

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I have discussed this at great lengths, but here it goes again. use mactheripper to rip to your hd, itll most likely be around 7 gb,you can only watch the movie in its ripped format, .vob files, in mplayer or vlc, I recommend mplayer.do a search in the forums for burn dvd or something similiar.

OP
D

Danster

Hello i was just wondering if my Mac had a dual layer burner?
also can it burn dvd-r/+ formats as i aven't a clue it just says' superdrive dvd-r

it's a matsihuta or summit like that ;)

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
look in system profiler, if not, you can flash the drives firmware to 108-a to make it burn dual layer discs, thouigh DL disc burning is not supported in all apps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Emac 1 Ghz G4, 80 Gigs, 256 Ram
How do I flash the drives firmware? I too want to burn dual layered discs and system profiler says nothing about the capability of burning dual layered discs. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

ddietr99

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Macman said:
I have discussed this at great lengths, but here it goes again. use mactheripper to rip to your hd, itll most likely be around 7 gb,you can only watch the movie in its ripped format, .vob files, in mplayer or vlc, I recommend mplayer.do a search in the forums for burn dvd or something similiar.
Just curious, but you do know that you can watch the ripped films in DVD player right? File-> 'open VIDEO_TS folder'

Just checking :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yup. but I think if youre gonna rip it, may as well burn it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
if I remember correctly, alll you need to do is get the 1.8 superdrive firmware update and install it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.