Corrupted Network Preferences?¿?¿

Reaction score
Recently, a wireless network I use changed its WEP password. Now, every time I try to go online, I am told that I am not connected to the Internet. To remedy this, I go to System Preferences:Network:Configure. There, when I select the network (which displays as WEP managed), I click on the Edit button, and it consistently shows that the password is "None" in the Wireless Security pane. I click there and, from the dropdown menu, select WEP Password. Every time I do so, it shows the old password! So, I enter the new one, click on "OK" then "Apply Now" and I can get online.

Because System Preferences will not retain the new password, I have assumed that the Preference file is corrupted. In an attempt to fix this, I have, over time, deleted every Preference file that seems related:

username:Library:preferences:com.apple.internetconfig.plist
username:Library:preferences:com.apple.internetconfigpriv.plist
username:Library:preferences:com.apple.internetconnect.plist
username:Library:preferences:com.apple.preference.internet.plist

Still, the problem persists. What am I missing? (FYI, using OSX 10.4.11 on a last generation PowerBook).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Here is where the key is stored:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.airport.preferences.plist

Note however, this is from my system which is running Leopard 10.5. It may not be the same for Tiger. Also, make a backup of the file and store it somewhere (perhaps on your desktop) before deleting it just in case you need to restore it.

Another way might be to just delete the connection and start over. Also make sure the WEP password has been cleared from the router. Use the router factory reset to make sure all the old settings have been cleared out. Write down the important settings stored in your router before you reset it.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.