batch watermark and resizing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
Hi,

I am just getting into posting my pictures on flickr and other websites and would like to watermark them so they are copyright. Also, so I don't completely take up all my bandwidth on flickr I wanted to resize all the pictures I take but because sometimes there are about 20 pictures at a time I feel as if it might be easier to batch resize everything say 50%.

Also..when posting should everything be converted to rRGB??

any help is great

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
1) You pictures are copyrighted the moment you take them. The watermark is only to emphasize this, and the use of watermarks is HOTLY debated on many photography forums.

2) I use Adobe Lightroom to do a batch resize, and it will also add watermarks if you want that. I don't know of any free programs to do batch watermark adds, though some may exist.

3) Yes, you should standardize all your shots when posting to the web to a single color profile.

OP
getuptogetdown
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
Great..thanks for all the help thus far. So if I am going to post 30 pictures to the web I should go into each individual one and standardize them individually? or is there an easier way??

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Great..thanks for all the help thus far. So if I am going to post 30 pictures to the web I should go into each individual one and standardize them individually? or is there an easier way??

thanks

Like I said, I use Lightroom to do all the standardization. I am sure that Aperture does the same thing as well. But beyond those two programs I really don't know of any others .... besides of course doing it all by hand.

Do you have Photoshop installed? Bridge MIGHT be able to do it, but I don't know. There are also probably a few Photoshop plugins that might do the trick for you, but you would have to do some searching.

OP
getuptogetdown
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey,

I downloaded a free version of lightroom to play with and I am pretty lost with it as of now.

I figured out how to export at a smaller size but how do I go about batch water marking??

thanks in advance!

OP
getuptogetdown
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wellll...I found a really good watermarking program for $20 that can do batch extremely easy. I already own photoshop, therefor can adjust images shot in RAW through that. I am currently on the trial version of Lightroom...do you think as I advance more into photography I am going to need this program anyways??

What are some of it's major advantages?? Just easier to edit photos quicker? and easy print set up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Lightroom is good for a number of reasons. First, the organization is amazing! I have found shots that people needed very quickly in a sea of thousands of photo's. Second, you can do so much inside the program that really I only open the files into Photoshop if there is something major I need to do. Plus everything you do in there is non-destructive, meaning it doesn't touch the original photo, making it easy to experiment. Lightroom makes your workflow much easier, but whether that is worth the cost is only a decision you can make.

:)

OP
getuptogetdown
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Awesome...I will probably end up purchasing it. So, I got a nice program that can resize my files and put very nice water marks that are customizable. Now for another question (sorry) - when I shot my pictures in RAW + JPEG, I went into the raw image of the file, didnt change anything, and then saved it as DNG. When comparingthe DNG and JPEG, the DNG looks SO much better...its like the JPEG has a layer of grey over it or something. I would attach a screenshot of both, but I can not upload dng files online with flickr. Will this look better if I just shot in RAW then saved to JPEG rather than having the camera do both?

Also...now that I have figured out how to water mark and resize...how do I go about saving the photos in rRGB so I can post them online the best way possible?

Thanks again!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
That is another of the large debates on the photo forums, the whole RAW vs JPG. Personally, I only shoot in RAW. It allows for much more tweaking afterward and, IMO, yes, you do end up with a better image. Not to mention that instead of the camera making the decisions on how to make you photo look the best (by automatically converting to JPG), you get to.

There should be an option when you export to set the color profile.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, 4GB DDR3, 10.5.7
Hi,

I am just getting into posting my pictures on flickr and other websites and would like to watermark them so they are copyright. Also, so I don't completely take up all my bandwidth on flickr I wanted to resize all the pictures I take but because sometimes there are about 20 pictures at a time I feel as if it might be easier to batch resize everything say 50%.

Also..when posting should everything be converted to rRGB??

any help is great

You can use Automator to do all that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro, 4GB DDR3, 10.6.2
Automator?

Hi,
I am new to Mac and have been experimenting with Automator (love the concept!) but can you please explain to me how to use it to batch process images for all of this?

I figured out how to resize (scale) the images, but the Service is only available from within Finder windows (ie: right-click image(s) and run my Scale service). I can't do it from within programs such as Adobe Bridge (which is what I'm using to organize my photos). It would be handy to be able to access my automated process from within Bridge, is there a way to do that?

Also, I could not figure out how to do this:
I want to resize (scale) down my photos, then have them saved in a folder within the original file's folder (such as: the originals are in Pictures/Christmas) and I want to put the resulting resized pictures into a new folder (such as Pictures/Christmas/Resized).

The catch is: I want Automator to detect which folder the images I want to process (the ones I've selected in Finder) are in, and create the new subfolder within it, but because the name of the parent folder will change each time I run the automation (for example, I go to the beach one day and shoot, so then my parent folder will be Pictures/Beach and the next day I shoot at a park so the parent will be Pictures/Park), I haven't figured out how to do this part? The newly created folder can always be named "Resized."

How do I do that in Automator? I see that there is an option for variables, which I played with some, but I couldn't figure it out. I believe variables would hold the key, because the variable could contain the name of the parent folder somehow, but I don't know how to use Automator well enough to figure out how to do this part.

And of course, finally...how do I use Automator to watermark my images?

All of this hopefully will be in one Automator (program? script? service? I'm not sure what the proper term is here). Ultimately, I want to set it up so that it:
1) scales/resizes the image (I got that part figured out, but only saving to one set folder location for now, the Desktop; want to do it as described above though).
2) apply my watermark image to the lower right-hand corner of the image, padded in and up a little from the corner so it looks nice.
3) save the images to the newly created "Resized" folder within the parent folder.
And maybe, hopefully...
4) Upload the images from the "Resized" folder to flickr/facebook.

Any help at all would be great, including suggestions for books/sites/materials to read on how to use Automator so I can learn more.

Sorry, I realize this is a big request, but I just haven't found what I'm looking for by Googling it. The closest I came to finding anything that helped was a site that had a bunch of additional Automator actions, which got me a little closer (one was able to get the name of the parent folder and pass it on to the next action), but I still wasn't able to figure out how to actually use that info it passed on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.