energy saver

Reaction score
hi!
when I close my mac, it automatically switch all running programs off including internet.... can I do something with that??? I've checked energy saver settings but I couldn't find anything.. :Oops:

thanks lot.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
When you close the lid, the MacBook goes into sleep mode. This is completely intentional as the lid inhibits effective heat dissipation. If you want to leave the machine on without sleeping, there are a number of hacks that can do this for you, including InsomniaX and Sleepless. Note that this may shorten the lifespan of your laptop.

OP
I
Reaction score
thank you... i think the best way will be leave it like it is ;) it could really damage mac so it's not very good idea... but thank you anyway

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It's not that it will cause damage, per se, but it may shorten the lifespan of certain components that are sensitive to heat (the hard drive for example) and make the fans run more frequently than they otherwise would, resulting in shorter service life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
It will work just fine with the lid closed (that's a persistent myth that was only true of the plastic iBooks) but you'll have to attach a monitor and keyboard to use it.

Automatic sleep is more of a safety mechanism to prevent you from accidentally shoving an operating laptop into a bag (where therewould be a risk of overheating) or carrying it around and subjecting it to all sorts of shock while the hard disk is spinning.

In short, it's not meant to be carried around while running.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.