Is it right for me?

D

darthmahon

Hi,

Ok so like alot of other people, I am considering the switch. I won't however, be getting rid of my PC, so I will still have that. However, I like the idea of the Mini, I could get a switch that allows me to run only one monitor between the two, great.

But, will it do what I need? I am a web designer, so I'm sure it's fine for Dreamweaver, Flash, Photoshop, Illustrator etc, but from time to time I do video editing - on my PC I use Premier. However, I would like to use Final Cut Pro/Express - they seem more friendly imo.

I also do 3d animation in Cinema 4D from time to time.

So, at the end of the day, I don't mind parting with £500 for the mac, as long as it's going to be able to do what I need. I really want to switch from Windows to OSX, so I want to be able to work from the mac and play from the PC.

Anyone have any thoughts on what my options are? My current home PC is as follows:

AMD Athlon XP 1800+
512 DDR PC2700
ATI 9600 Pro 128mb
Windows XP Professional

I know you can't compare the systems, but how will it fair roughly against my current machine? I know the OSX environment is nicer etc, but when it comes down to it, for speed of applications/rendering, is it worth it compared to my current machine?

Alternatively, could I do the following?

Get a G5.

Use my existing mouse and keyboard - don't like apples.

Get a KVM Switch that will allow me to run my mouse, keyboard and monitor(on the G5) for both the Mac and PC?

Is that correct? Anyone know any good KVM switches that will do the trick? Using the Logitech LX700 Cordless Keyboard and Optical Mouse.

Cheers,
Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
darthmahon said:
Is that correct? Anyone know any good KVM switches that will do the trick? Using the Logitech LX700 Cordless Keyboard and Optical Mouse.

any USB KVM switch will work.

i wouldnt suggest the Mac mini for someone in your field. by all means, wait a little longer and save up for a G5. i would suggest going to the apple store and checking out a single proc 1.8GHz G5 and the 17" 1.6GHZ iMac. since you already have a system, the powermac would be fitting, but for $200 less you can get a similar system

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The Mini's graphics card isn't as good as your PC, but the CPU should be about the same.

A G5 would crush your system, speedwise.

The question, I guess, is, do you want to spend $500-600 and get the advantages of OS X with no real speed increase, or $1600 and get a nice increase in the process? (US Prices)

Either way, any USB KVM switch should work for you. Apple sells the Belkin one below
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=T5139LL/A

OP
D

darthmahon

$1600 - what does that get me?

The thing is I need to buy a new monitor, so really I don't want to have to get the Powermac plus a monitor - that's well over £1000 and it's a little more than I want to spend.

This is what I would like to do ideally.

Use the Mac for work and general day to day use.
Use the PC for gaming.

So, would an iMac G5 crush my system speedwise? Or is it only the Powermac that would improve?

Is it possible to run my PC off the iMac's monitor? I'm assuming it is - obviously if I am gaming with the PC, the response time of the monitor needs to be quick, is the iMac monitor quick?

Reaction score
I don't think you can use the iMac's monitor with your PC because it is build right into the iMac. You would need a seperate monitor.

Overall, I would expect your current system to be at least as fast as the Mini. You definetly wouldn't see any performance improvement. The G4 and Athlon XP were always very similiar in performance per clock speed, so your 1.53Ghz Athlon XP would be faster than the 1.25/1.42Ghz G4.

The current G5 performs the same as a similairly clocked Athlon 64...just in case your looking for a performance comparison.

Originally I was shopping for a Mini as well. The more I looked into the systems offered, I ended up purchasing a G5. A little higher than what my budget was, but I think I'll be happier in the end.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.