Switching to Leopard...Yay or Nay?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
I have Tiger on my 1Ghz TiBook and eMac, and Leopard on my MacBook.
I love leopard on the MacBook, but the MacBook is going byebye soon.

Since the hard drive is screwy in the TiBook, I am going to replace it with a 7200RPM hard drive. I only have Leopard installation disks, not Tiger disks. I'd really like to save the...oh...you know...$80 %@$^&%ING dollars that people bid on eBay for Tiger disks. However I will admit this TiBook is really peppy with Tiger on it, and I have read nightmare stories about how the wireless connection on TiBooks installed with leopard are very weak and almost non-existent. Should I just spend the $80 and get Tiger disks or take a gamble with Leopard, or did they resolve that wireless problem? On top of that, I'm sure the TiBook would run significantly slower with Leopard... =\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Well, if you already have the Leopard disks then why not just install it and give it a shot first.

OP
xj6jaguar1985
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
This is true...I've thought about just selling the Leopard DVD on eBay and picking up Tiger instead....I love Tiger. I was going to keep it on my MacBook, but since I'm selling it...I'm sure people would much rather have Leopard on a MacBook since it's "Newer".

T

todd51

I would just go ahead and install Leopard and test it out. If it runs fine and you like it, go ahead and stick with it. If not, heck I'll sell you my old Tiger discs to you for like $40 bucks. I have no use for them since I have Leopard on my MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06 ghz 4gb Ram 1tb, Ipod Touch 1g, iPhone 3G, iBook G4 1.2ghz 1.25 GB
go for Leopard, it works great in my 1.2 and my wifes 933...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Why *wouldn't* you put Leopard on?

Face it, Leopard is just Tiger with a few extra features (although most of those features are pretty good), so it's not like you'll miss Tiger. You've got to upgrade sometime anyway - not much new stuff even supports Panther now, for example.

OP
xj6jaguar1985
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Because I have been reading there have been numerous complaints online about the poor wireless connection received by the 1GHz TiBooks with Leopard installed. That is why I am extremely hesitant to install it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Yeah, but really if you have it, there is no reason not to try it. If not, then sell it and get the Tiger discs. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Make sure you pump up the RAM though. At least 1GB, or Leopard will crawl on a 1Ghz system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
Idk... I'm not sure what leopard changed from how tiger handled wireless, but it did make changes, and thats why wireless on 10.5.0 and even 10.5.1 really sucked. If wireless on the iBooks is poor even with 10.5.5 the you might want to stick with Tiger.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Funny thing about the so called Wireless issue. I have an iBook G4 12" 1.33Ghz. Very last 12" iBook before the Intel Macbook. From 10.5.0 I have never had issues connecting to my 5 Routers and WAP's. Never had issue connecting to any WiFi anywhere and in fact it connected to some that even my XP and now Vista notebook with a Broadcom chipset would not connect to at all. On some other machines like my Intel Mini, with one update the WiFi signal strength was being reported lower than it actually was but never an issue connecting. That was fixed by 10.5.2 I believe.

Same with my other macs like iMac G5, Powermac with old Airport card, G4 Mini. So whatever issues were there seemed to be with just some machines for some reason. I have helped very smart people with those issues and they were very real, but I have never had one issue with my 5 Macs with 10.5 and Wifi.

I would say give it a try. Test everything out. See how you like it. I also agree with Goobie, give it as much RAM as the machine will take. There is a lot more going on in 10.5 than Tiger.

OP
xj6jaguar1985
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It has a gig of RAM...That's the max in TiBooks. I have a 20GB hard drive kicking around here...I'll swap it out with the 60GB hard drive tomorrow and install leopard and see how it goes.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
1GB should be fine. That what the iBook had when I first installed 10.5.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.