iTunes & mp3

Reaction score
I spent a good hour the other day putting all my favorite music in one big playlist with plans of burning an mp3 cd so I can have all my music on one cd in my truck... then when I went to burn it iTunes informed me that only some of my songs were in mp3 format... I had assumed that all my music was in mp3 since that is the superior format imo...

My question is how do I convert my library into mp3? I am figuring it's not easy since I could not find the answer to this on my own screwing around in itunes menue...

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Open iTunes and go to Edit>Preferences>Advanced>Importing and then change the 'Import Using' to 'MP3 Encoder'.
Save the settings.
Go to the library and right-click on a music track and choose the option which reads 'Convert Selection to MP3'. If the track is not protected then you'll be able to convert it to MP3 format. However, if the track is a protected one then iTunes will pop-up a window telling you that the protected track cannot be converted to other formats.

How to Convert Protected Files:

Burn the tracks to a CD and make sure that you burn an audio CD and not a data CD.
Use iTunes to access the CD and add it to the library.
Right click the media file and select 'Convert Selection to MP3'.
If you have a large number of files to be converted to MP3 format, then you could use a CD Emulator to simulate a real CD burner to avoid burning CD-R discs.

OP
Z
Reaction score
I don't see either of those options... I have the newest version of iTunes and when I right click a track from a 1988 album that I ripped from a cd from the early 90's there is no convert to mp3 option and it says its in m4a format. (this is the same with multiple different old cd's)I searched itunes help for converting files and the menu it says to go to isn't there...
"Preferences, Advanced, Import" I go to preferences, advanced and there is no "Import"

... any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry about that. They've changed where the settings are. Didn't notice myself until you mentioned it.:[

In iTunes, go to Preferences/General/Import settings then select MP3 Encoder. Save.
Afterwards, select a "non-MP3" (see my last attachment) You'll have the option to convert it to MP3. (create MP3 version)

Picture 5.png

Picture 6.png

Picture 9.png

OP
Z
Reaction score
The first two file menus look like mine but your option menu where you have "Create mp3 version" I am not getting that option on ANY audio file I option click.

Also how come I made a huge playlist with a few hours of music and less than 800MB of file space iTunes says it will not fit on one cd and my blank cd's are 800 mb.... I just don't get that...

Thanks for your help! I figured out Apple's plan... make it extremely challenging to burn an audio CD so ppl say skrew this I'll just buy an ipod lawlz

Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The first two file menus look like mine but your option menu where you have "Create mp3 version" I am not getting that option on ANY audio file I option click.

Also how come I made a huge playlist with a few hours of music and less than 800MB of file space iTunes says it will not fit on one cd and my blank cd's are 800 mb.... I just don't get that...

Thanks for your help! I figured out Apple's plan... make it extremely challenging to burn an audio CD so ppl say skrew this I'll just buy an ipod lawlz

Thanks for your help!
They definitely have "dwindled down" their options in iTunes. When burning a cd, you used to have a few options to choose from. (data cd, MP3 cd, etc..) I can't even find that myself... You were limited to how much music you put on the cd, depending on the settings...
I did select a few other songs, and under the "advanced" in the menu bar, still had the "MP3" option. (see attachment)

This is starting to annoy me as well, so I'll do some digging. I'll post anything that can help. Just double-check your settings for now, and I'll post back. (hopefully, with some answers..) ;)

Picture 10.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just a quick update. I've read that, "You get to choose the options each time you click the Burn button".
I haven't tried it yet, but thought I'd keep you updated. If that's the case, try the MP3 option. It allows a lot more music to be put on a cd.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.