Is this a smart move????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 iMac, 1.8, 1 Gig, airport// G4 PowerMac w/Apple LCD, 12" G4 PowerBook, G3 Clamshell
I have two questions that require your "Mac expertise" for a Mac-wanna-be:

1) I have a friend that just got a new G5 and wants to sell me his G4 that he has rarely used (as he is on his ibook & his PC all the time) ...and, as I am a PC person really wanting to get into Macs-I need your Mac advice!!! Is this a smart move for me:
G4 Power Mac
two 450 MHZ cpu's, three 64 Bit PCI slots,768 MB of Ram,40 gig / 7200 RPM
HD,DVD drive,56K Modem,100 MB Network,2 Fire wire,Apple Optical
Mouse,17 Inch Apple Trinitron Studio Display OS X.3 "Panther", Apple
Pro keyboard... will throw in more memory, a CD burner, & software as well- macromedia suite, microsoft office stuff etc....
To cut to the chase-He is asking $500.....Should I bite on this or just go ahead and get serious and go for a new iMac G5????? Help!
2) If I want a new Mac should I order it online from Apple or go to the Apple Store to get it??????
3) Of course a third option would be to get the used G4 to keep my PC company at work and get the G5 for home use....decisons, decisions!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
wvmac said:

1) I have a friend that just got a new G5 and wants to sell me his G4 that he has rarely used (as he is on his ibook & his PC all the time) ...and, as I am a PC person really wanting to get into Macs-I need your Mac advice!!! Is this a smart move for me:
G4 Power Mac
Mouse,17 Inch Apple Trinitron Studio Display OS X.3 "Panther", Apple
Pro keyboard... will throw in more memory, a CD burner, & software as well- macromedia suite, microsoft office stuff etc....
To cut to the chase-He is asking $500.....Should I bite on this or just go ahead and get serious and go for a new iMac G5????? Help!
2) If I want a new Mac should I order it online from Apple or go to the Apple Store to get it??????
3) Of course a third option would be to get the used G4 to keep my PC company at work and get the G5 for home use....decisons, decisions!

The deal you're being offered for the G4 is quite good, so I would suggest taking it since you've been given the opportunity. However, I'm a big fan of older systems (even older than the G4 you're looking at), while others only like to have state-of-the-art machines. You certainly can't go wrong with a new iMac either, but of course that's quite a bit more money. If you decide on a new machine, I would purchase it from an Apple Store, as long as you have one near by.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
wvmac said:

I'm a total newb concerning macs, (In fact my 20" iMac G5 is still in the mail) so I can't really answer any of your questions. However I will warn you about going in to a physical Apple store. Be prepared to spend more than may have initially intended. I went in to my local Apple store to inquire about the new Mini mac. As soon as I walked in I was drawn to the 17" iMac G5s in the corner. From there I couldn't help but check out the 20" models next to them. Long story short, before I left the store I hade dropped over 2 grand on a 20" iMac G5 with Airport and bluetooth built-in. :closed: A trip to ask some questions turned in to a major purchase. Be warned I tell you, be prepared to spend some dough if you go to the store. :)

-Chris

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 iMac, 1.8, 1 Gig, airport// G4 PowerMac w/Apple LCD, 12" G4 PowerBook, G3 Clamshell
bassplayrr said:
I'm a total newb concerning macs, (In fact my 20" iMac G5 is still in the mail) so I can't really answer any of your questions. However I will warn you about going in to a physical Apple store. Be prepared to spend more than may have initially intended. I went in to my local Apple store to inquire about the new Mini mac. As soon as I walked in I was drawn to the 17" iMac G5s in the corner. From there I couldn't help but check out the 20" models next to them. Long story short, before I left the store I hade dropped over 2 grand on a 20" iMac G5 with Airport and bluetooth built-in. :closed: A trip to ask some questions turned in to a major purchase. Be warned I tell you, be prepared to spend some dough if you go to the store. :)

-Chris
I can see myself doing just that- ;) as my trips to Apple stores usually make me salivate! ;) ......they are great at marketing the units there- really nice stuff displayed perfectly! BTW--Do they have the Macs on hand ready to wheel out or is it just a place to order your Mac and pick up later/UPS///? Thanks for the replies!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
wvmac said:
I can see myself doing just that- ;) as my trips to Apple stores usually make me salivate! ;) ......they are great at marketing the units there- really nice stuff displayed perfectly! BTW--Do they have the Macs on hand ready to wheel out or is it just a place to order your Mac and pick up later/UPS///? Thanks for the replies!

The store I went to carries most of the stuff as in-stock items, but they were all out of the 'fully loaded' 20" models so mine is being shipped to my office free of charge. If you want an odd combination of features, such as an upgraded HD drive but no upgraded RAM, or bluetooth but no AirPort, that will likely be a built-to-order computer and will need to be shipped to your home or office.

-Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well, the mac mini would be faster, includes the combo drive, but lacking the monitor...

But also only $500,-

K

ksun

Although I haven't seen one in action (obviously) I would recommend going with the Mac mini. An inexpensive usb-kvm switch would probably take care of clutter on your desk as well as keep you from keeping a second monitor.

I Just always like to get new over used. Cruise eBay and see how much those G4 towers are going for. If it's a steal, then buy it from your friend and list it on ebay to help pay for your new mini. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
wvmac said:

to make it easier on you, ill break it down into what each item is worth

G4 Power Mac
Mouse, Apple Pro keyboard

This alone is worth about $450 (based on eBay sales from the last month). A packaged deal (monitor, computer & software), is usually what most people are looking to buy.

17 Inch Apple Trinitron Studio Display

he could probably get $50-75 for this, depending on the condition of the monitor

OS X.3 "Panther", ... will throw in more memory, a CD burner, & software as well- macromedia suite, microsoft office stuff etc....

OS X.3 = $50
macromedia suite = $200
office = $150

Total worth ~ $850-900 (packaged)

All-in-all i would say its a good deal, but offering $450 wouldnt hurt. it never hurts to ask for cheaper (unless he gets offended and no longer offers it :closed: )

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ksun said:
Although I haven't seen one in action (obviously) I would recommend going with the Mac mini. An inexpensive usb-kvm switch would probably take care of clutter on your desk as well as keep you from keeping a second monitor.

I Just always like to get new over used. Cruise eBay and see how much those G4 towers are going for. If it's a steal, then buy it from your friend and list it on ebay to help pay for your new mini. :)

That probably would be a good option- my home office would lend itself well to that set up!

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacAddikt said:
to make it easier on you, ill break it down into what each item is worth

This alone is worth about $450 (based on eBay sales from the last month). A packaged deal (monitor, computer & software), is usually what most people are looking to buy.

he could probably get $50-75 for this, depending on the condition of the monitor

OS X.3 = $50
macromedia suite = $200
office = $150

Total worth ~ $850-900 (packaged)

All-in-all i would say its a good deal, but offering $450 wouldnt hurt. it never hurts to ask for cheaper (unless he gets offended and no longer offers it :closed: )
I appreciate the great breakdown you've given me here- and the suggestion to offer 450 is a very good one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.