Silly question - speakers and Mac Mini

Reaction score
Hello

I'm the owner of a new Mac Mini. Very nice it is, too.

I'm plugging all the peripherals from my existing PC into it, including a set of Creative 6.1 speakers.

I'm not fussed about the surround sound, but it would be nice to get the front speakers plus sub-woofer working.

I have a choice of three jacks, none of which seem to generate any sound.

Nor are there any options in System Prefs to switch to external output.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious. Can anyone help?

Reaction score
Plug them into the headphone jack, turn them on, go to system preferences/sound/Choose 'Input' tab at the top and change to your speakers.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Don't you mean the OUTPUT Tab??

Do the Creatives have a Green Mini Plug? If so plug that into the Headphone jack on the Mini. Check the Output Tab in System Preferences, Sound.

What is the model Number on those speakers? I want to check to see if Creative gave you a Optical Input since the Mini will work with a Toslink cable.

Reaction score
Whoops, yes sorry the Output tab:[

OP
C
Reaction score
Hello - thanks for those prompt replies. The model is Inspire 6060. They have three mini plugs (green for the front, black for the rear and pink for the center subwoofer).

Plugging any of them in individually doesn't seem to do anything at all; there is no option in system prefs to alter either the output or input settings (other than volume). Nor does any combination of the two.

Any suggestions?

tks

OP
C
Reaction score
Feeling even more slightly silly now.

Plugged the green into the headphone jack and I get sound from the front (for some reason it's giving me nothing on the text. avi I used or BBC video, but does work on iTunes and YouTube).

It's be nice to a) get sound from all sources (probably some software updates needed?) plus to get the subwoofer working.

So all help much appreciated.

tks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.