Need help setting up Airport card in a Power Mac G4

Reaction score
I recently switched to Mac computers for the sole purpose of recording my music.Let me start off by saying, I have real limited working knowledge of networks ,but with the right instructions I could learn.

So here we go :
1st of all, all I really want to do is to be able to get on the internet with the mac, in case I should have a recording question or need to research a piece of gear,etc on the internet.
I bought an airport card and installed it in my "MDD G4" Power Mac, it has the OS X 10.4 operating system, it did recognize the airport card.I have had a wifi set up in my home on my wifes PC laptop with a netgear router in place for a while.
Iam trying to get the G4 on the wireless network,but its not working,I can hardwire it in with a ethernet cable and string it down the hallway into the back of the router and it works fine, but not wireless.

We (my wife and I) are not going to be transferring files or sharing printers or anything like that, I just need internet access,thats the only reason for the router is to be wireless from room to room.

What should I do ?

OP
C
Reaction score
How does a wireless network actually work ? Does it travel from computer to computer to the router or does each computer report back to the router independently ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Reaction score
Did you get your PowerMac G4 (MDD) connected wirelessly?

I have essentially the same problem.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

I have essentially the same problem.

What have you tried? What version of OSX are you running on that PowerMac G4 MDD? Does your router have any encryption like WEP? WPA?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.