Upgrading hard drive, reuse OEM copy of XP?

Reaction score
I've got a Macbook Pro, got it in 2007. I recently set up boot camp, partitioned my current hard drive and successfully installed an OEM copy of Windows XP SP2.
I'm interested in replacing the current hard drive in my MBP with a larger one. I'm a neat freak and don't mind reinstalling my programs and copying specific files onto my new drive, rather than a mass clone (or whatever the process is called) of my current hard drive.

So my question is: Once I replace my current hard drive with a blank new one, install my Mac OS, will I be able to reuse the OEM copy of Windows I bought and installed once already?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Yep. I've been reinstalling my copy of XP since 2003. I only run it on one machine at a time and just reinstall it when switching machines. It re-registers with MS each time and I stopped worrying about it long ago. The same seems to be true with Office XP and 2007, Visio, Project, etc.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You should be able to, since the OEM license is tied to your Mac hardware. If you were changing something major, like a systemboard, you might have to reactivate, but a simple hard drive swap shouldn't be an issue.

You can, by the way, clone your Boot Camp partition and your OS X partition and move them right over to the new hard drive. Check out Winclone for the Boot Camp partition.

OP
M
Reaction score
Great, thank you both for the info.
I'll check out Winclone as well!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.