• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How can I burn a DVD from iMovie?

Reaction score
I have completed an edited movie in iMovie. Now I would like to burn this to a DVD-R which plays in a DVD player as well as on my iMac.
I've played the tutorials - read the instructions - but can't do it. I don't want a "theme" in iDVD, just a simple copy of my movie on DVD.
Copies of my movie are now on iTunes, iMovie, iDVD, the desktop ....... you name it, it's there. But when it comes to burning it, either I get a DVD that plays only on a Mac or the DVD is ejected before any burning takes place.
I'm working with a 24" iMac, OS 10.5.5, iMovie '08 7.1.4 ..........
Tearing my hair out hasn't helped either. Any easy-to-understand step-by-step instructions would be really appreciated.
Harry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Truth be told, I don't know if you can make a DVD with iDVD without a theme.

You can set your iDVD project to start the movie on insert of the disc though. Click on the hierarchy button, first round one of three near the bottom center, and drag your movie to the square that says "Drag content here to automatically play when the disc in inserted.". If the movie has chapters, then drag the first one to that location and remove the rest.

Another tip is to first create the image to a disc image; File --> "Save As Disc Image...". That way you can test it first before burning an actual disc. The technique also helps to separate burning issues from disc creation issues. You can use Disc Utility to burn the disc I believe.

Reaction score
I recently bought a new MacBook pro and have been editing with iMovie and a Sony HD camera. I finally finished my first video and put it on a dvd. I just exported to my desktop. I then opened iDvd and either imported it or dragged and dropped it in cant remember. I did about a 20-30 min video and it took like a hour and a half though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.