Superdrive

R

Righty491

I am about to buy a mac mini, and i have a new Sony DVD Burner (for windows) (it's a drx700ul) and i was wondering, if i could use it on my mini by firewire, or usb 2.0, cause my burner supports both, i need this for video editing in iDVD, and i need the burner to burn DVD's in iDVD. If you know if i can use my burner in mac os x, please post.

Thank You

OP
R

Righty491

How do i set up the drive if it's only for windows. I heard something about a program called patchburn 3. How will that work, and am i able to use iDVD to burn it????

Sorry, i just need to be 100% sure.

OP
V

vtupser

Usually with Macs you just plug it in and it works. You might want to look on Sony's website to make sure. Is it a DVD+ or DVD- drive? If it is a DVD+ your machine will not recognize it, but you can use a program like Toast to burn your files. I have a DVD+ for my Powerbook hooked up through firewire and programs like iTunes and iPhoto will not recognize it to burn directly through them, but I use Toast and it works just fine; just an extra step to get it to that point. If DVD- then you are good to go.

OP
R

Righty491

I think it is both, this is what it sais on sonys site: DVD+/-R/RW, so will it work if it does both, and can i still use dvd+r disks???

OP
?

)(*

hmm, alright lemme explain this:
OSX will work with your burner if you are burning any CD that is a -R (maybe -RW, idk)
Now, Roxio makes a program for mac that does what you want to do called Toast. Using this program will let you use your sony burner the same way you use it on windows.
You will be able to burn in every format.
Just buy Toast, i think its like $50, but its worth it.

OP
R

Righty491

Can i just save ISO's in iDVD (05), and burn it in toast then on dvd+r's?

OP
K

ksun

Roxio Toast is the Mac equivalent of the PC Roxio EZ CD Creator, or whatever they call it now days. Same as PC Nero.

You might check, I remember Steve Jobs saying that now DVD- would be supported, though I don't think he specified if non-apple drives would use it. I don't remember if he was saying that would be with the new version of iLife, or if that was a Tiger feature. So, you may have to wait.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.