Problem with Adobe CS 4 background on unibody macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2Ghz 4GB RAM 160GB HDD
I recently acquired the new MacBook, and installed Adobe CS4 Design Premium, since I am a digital photographer. I use 4 spaces on my mac. I have space 3 configured for all Adobe Applications that I use. However, when I start an application it loads into the current space, which is not space 3. I get a weird error message when Photoshop starts:

Picture%202.jpg

But my main problem is that the background is missing:

Picture%201.jpg

The space that should be the background is my desktop! Clicking on it just shows me my desktop. This is quite irksome, as some of you can imagine.. What is the problem? How can it be fixed?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1991 Powerbook 100, Gen 2 Nano, Gen 1 Touch
Not sure about the error but I believe you are referring to "Screen Mode" with regards to your second point.

To change the way the screen is set up (i.e. floating window vs full background) go to View>Screen Mode> (at least it is like this in CS3).

The menu should give you the options as per the attached. Hope this helps.

Picture 1.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 3.06GHz 4GB RAM 1TB | MacBook Pro 13" 2.53GHz 4GB RAM 640GB | 16GB iPhone 3G
The new feature in CS4 that I believe you're looking for is called "Application Frame". Click on Window > Application Frame. This will give Photoshop a "solid background" much like it behaves on a Windows machine.

If the frame is not filling your screen, click the maximize button (green).

I hope this helps.

OP
X
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks! Application frame did what I needed in terms of solid background. As an added bonus it also made PS to be opened in the deisgnated frame. This fixed two problems at once. The error message stopped appearing after I jiggled with the scratch disk options.

Thanks a bunch!

OP
X
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Incidentally, only the frame opens in the designated space. The toolbars remain in the current space where I clicked on the PS icon. :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.