Networking Macs to Windows Network

Reaction score
I will be acquiring a small business that has a small PC network with Microsoft Small Business Server 2000 on their Dell server.

I have a MacBook with OS X 10.5.4 and will also be buying a new mac mini to use a an application box. I will also be adding a new iMac station for prepress.

How easy is it to network Macs on a MS SBS 200 PC Environment? Anything to watch out for?

Thanks

Reaction score
It's as easy as pie.

I have 3 different Mac's on my windows network without any issues whatsoever.

In fact, sharing files between the PC's to the Mac's is much easier as the Mac's will "see" the different groups on the PC's without additional configuration.

For example, I have one PC that is in the default WORKGROUP. The rest of my PC's I have them in a different workgroup for security purposes. whenever I add a Windows PC to my network, so I can share files, I have to change the workgroup in the settings on the PC to match or it won't let me share the files. The Mac's "see" both workgroups and can share files from them without being re-configured.

They can see windows shared printers too.

It's great. Mac's do things RIGHT!

OP
C
Reaction score
What version of Windows server are you running. I have windows 2000 server and have not been able to make it happen yet

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.