• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

video converter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook ali
hi all is there a free download out there for a movie or video clip converter for mac, i need to change an AVI to mp4 an such like cheers

Reaction score
Using Squared 5

MPEGStreamclip will do that

Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows

It may be an idea to install Perian as well (codec support for quicktime)

Perian - The swiss-army knife of QuickTime® components

When I moved a .mp4 file into the program and tried to convert to .avi, the file did not work. I was just testing the program so I did not change any of the standard settings.. There was a pop-up asking for frame rate. I tried 30 fps yet there was an error. Is there a standard rate I should be using?

Thanks!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Try Handbrake - it's free, has nice presets and is easy to use.

Reaction score
hey that's exactly what i wanted to ask and registered to this forum :) so i am using visualhub, it is very easy, has many options and i like it but i have 1 problem. it sometimes says something about a codec error. i guess it doesn't have the codec, but the video IS working on VLC. so is there any way i can make visualhub work with any codec? i'm gonna try handbrake now and tell you if it works.

edit: so i did it with handbrake and i'm impressed it did convert it. although, it's a m4v file but had set it to convert to mp4 h.264. is mp4/m4v the same? i want to put it on my iphone

edit2: i see that the .mp4 files i have from visualhub conversion have as info "mp4 movie" while the .m4v has as info "mp4 video". it doesn't really matter anyway huh?

Reaction score
problem: message from itunes: m4v videos cannot be copied to iphone because it cannot play that type of file, and handbrake doesn't convert to mp4.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you use the Apple > "iPhone & iPod Touch" preset, you should get a file that should work for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13.3 inch mid 09 4gb RAM 500GB HD, iPhone 8GB, 30GB ipod video, Airport Extreme
i also recommend handbrake

Reaction score
re:

I have a similiar problem. I have an .avi file that I want to transfer to a dvd. I experimented and used handbrake and converted it to mp4 and then burned it to a dvd using Toast 10 titanium.

What would be the best format to burn an .avi file to a dvd and still keep the quality of the video? What would be the best route to do this, ie. which software or codecs to use?

Thanks,

Reaction score
Look in to ffmpegX, it'll do the job better than anything else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
Is there any program free like Handbrake that will convert video any format into DVD format? Thanks.

Reaction score
Is there a way to convert the .avi file + a .srt (subtitles) into one mp4? so it can be used in the ipod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macBook, 2.4 ghz, 2Gb RAM,250Gb,
Is there any program free like Handbrake that will convert video any format into DVD format? Thanks.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but have you tried iDVD, which comes with iLife? It'll build a DVD from most video formats, and any it struggles with you should be able to convert to mp4 with Handbrake (iDVD works with mp4).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.