Couple quick Q's

J

JNasty4g63

Hey all. My first post here, go easy. :) Well, like I'm sure you're getting here a lot now with all the big Mac news these days, I have a quick few questions about getting a Mac. I've grown up with a Mac, mom was a teacher, so we had plenty around. Always wanted to own one, but never did. Not sure why I've been using a PC as my main computer for so many years, but anyhoo. So I'm ok with using the computer and the OS, but I have some hardware questions.

1. I have the Microsoft Bluetooth Desktop for my PC now. Does anyone know if you can use this on a Mac??? I know most new Macs have a Bluetooth option. Will these pick up the k+m and allow use??? On a PC, they use USB for the Bluetooth hub. If the Mac won't find the k+m with the BT, will it work over the USB???? Anyone know??? I have the original MS BT desktop, and its getting kinda old. I've been thinking of the new Logitech diNovo desktop. Same question as above, anyone know if it works also???

2. I know this is probably a really dumb question, but I want to make certain before I get into this. I just got the new Sony 23" WS LCD (P234B) not too long ago for my PC. This will work on a Mac, correct??? I know thats a dumb question, but when you spend $1500 on a nice monitor, you'd like to use it for a while.

Again, thanks everyone. I'm going to be getting a Mac very soon, regardless. I just want to know how much stuff I can transfer over. If I could just get a nice G5, and use my current DKM, that would be great. If not, no biggie, I kinda like the Apple stuff. The monitors epsecially, very nice like my Sony. And, like most mainly-PC people, it would take me a while to get used to the one button thing with an Apple mouse, but I'd manage. Thanks.

Hilg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
1. it should work fine if you mean you have one of those usb bluetooth adapters or BT mouse or kb.
2. itll work if it can physically connect via dvi or vga.

OP
J

JNasty4g63

1. Yes, the BT hub connects to the PC using USB, but the K+M are wireless BT pieces. So, will they work without the hub, or will the hub work through the USB??? This is the set....

WODB_l.jpg

2. Yea, actually, it has both (2 VGA, 1 DVI). I figured that was a silly Q, just wanted to be sure. I really like the monitor, and would like to transfer it over to the Mac. Thanks.

24-006-084-07.JPG

Hilg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
yea, the kb and mouse will work, youll have to plug in tyhe usb adapter to a usb port lkike on the pc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hate to be the doubter here, but is everyone sure all features of the bluetooth k+m will work fine?

I imagine some of the extra buttons etc are handled by special microsoft software (i.e. pc only)

You should have basic functionality, but you might not be able to use all features.

Btw. you can use both mouse buttons with your mac, it's only apple's own mice that only have 1 button, regular mice work just like under windows. (i.e. right click works)

OP
J

JNasty4g63

Aptmunich said:
You should have basic functionality, but you might not be able to use all features......you can use both mouse buttons with your mac, it's only apple's own mice that only have 1 button, regular mice work just like under windows. (i.e. right click works)
Yea, I figured as much with the extra buttons on the keyboard. I haven't looked, but I don't know that they have Intelipoint and Intelitype drivers for Mac. Maybe they do, I've just never looked. And, yes, I know I would be able to use the wheel and right button on the mouse with the MS stuff. I was talking about using the Apple pieces. If I couldn't get these to work, I was just going to get the Apple hardware. I like it, but I was just saying it would take a while for me to get use to not being able to right-click with the Apple mouse. Thanks everyone.

***EDIT*** I just looked, and Microsoft has drivers for OSX for some of their hardware. But, alas, my desktop set isnt supported. So, looks like basic functionality it is. I might just get the Apple stuff as well. Thanks again everyone.

Hilg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.