Bluetooth and Apple

K

Kjeld Hvatum

I've got a few questions about the Apple Mini and about PPC in general.

The first and most concerning for me is whether my Microsoft Bluetooth keyboard and mouse will work with the Apple Mini. I only ask this because I'd bought that expensive keyboard and mouse setup only after the salseman assured me that it would work with my sony Bluetooth-enabled laptop, only to turn out that it didnt even after updating to SP2 and doing a reinstall of the Bluetooth drivers. Instead I have to hook up an easy to break and lose - impossible to replace - dongle to my laptop every time I want to use the cordless mouse. This is obviously annoying as it completely defeats the point of buying a mobile BLUETOOTH mouse! This is sadly exactly what I've seen happen in the PC industry time after time. I read about a great new standard, then a year later I find out every vendor has "bugs" that prevent their implimentation from working with another vendor's.

I've also heard that there aren't many games out for the Mac which dissapointments me as I was planning to make this my Son's gaming machine when I was done with it. Well, that's enough for now. Thanks for any insight. :-]

OP
J

JNasty4g63

Dang, we have just about the same post. I just posted a new topic asking almost this exact questions. Oh well, someone will answer one of them.

Hilg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Kjeld Hvatum said:
I've got a few questions about the Apple Mini and about PPC in general.

The first and most concerning for me is whether my Microsoft Bluetooth keyboard and mouse will work with the Apple Mini. I only ask this because I'd bought that expensive keyboard and mouse setup only after the salseman assured me that it would work with my sony Bluetooth-enabled laptop, only to turn out that it didnt even after updating to SP2 and doing a reinstall of the Bluetooth drivers. Instead I have to hook up an easy to break and lose - impossible to replace - dongle to my laptop every time I want to use the cordless mouse. This is obviously annoying as it completely defeats the point of buying a mobile BLUETOOTH mouse! This is sadly exactly what I've seen happen in the PC industry time after time. I read about a great new standard, then a year later I find out every vendor has "bugs" that prevent their implimentation from working with another vendor's.

I've also heard that there aren't many games out for the Mac which dissapointments me as I was planning to make this my Son's gaming machine when I was done with it. Well, that's enough for now. Thanks for any insight. :-]

As far as I know, my experience with bluetooth and apple has been been flawless. You should be able to use youw keyboard and mouse no problemo. best way to find out for sure tho is to take them to an apple dealer ( preferably an apple store ) and testdrive em. as far as gaming goes, use a pc there arent many games natively written for osx. most are ports. so they dont take full advantage of mac hardware. second a mini is a low end mac, thats not to say that its totally without its merits. think of it as economy class, the honda civic of the mac world... no pun intended. its gonna get you a to b. like a civic its gonna have its pro and cons.

OP
K

Kjeld Hvatum

Yeah, I know Apple is not the best for Gaming. I was looking in the other forum and there are some games so that's enough for me.

Your idea of visiting an Apple store is great, and I can confirm that the Microsoft Bluetooth mouse does connect with an iBook over bluetooth. :-]

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.