iBook goes to sleep when screen is shut

S

simple

Hi all, just wondering if there is any way to make my ibook not go into sleep mode when I shut the screen. When it happens it disconnects my internet connection, stop all playing music, etc. I would like for all those things to stay intact and running - I just want the display off. Used to do it all the time on all my pc laptops - just can't find the right preferences on the mac I guess. I looked under energy settings, displays and utilities - no luck. Running os 10.3 panther.

Thanks all

Simple

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
There is a 3rd party program to do it but it is very bad for your ibook. The iBook is designed to lose heat through the keyboard so by shutting it you could overheat your computer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
PowerBooks will run with the screen closed (since they can dissipate heat through the metal case) but not iBooks.

You'd be better off turning your screen brightness all the way down (ie, turn the backlight off) using the F1 key.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
My powerbook won't and I wouldnt want it to.. that sucker gets hot as it is.. closing the screen and leaving it on.. oh man it would melt :(

OP
S

simple

Interesting info, thanks guys. The reason I wanted my screen off is because I use the ibook in the car a lot. It plays music most of the time and when I drive at night I don't want the screen glowing - some cop might think I'm watching a movie going down the road. Another reason is that I'm afraid for the display, since roads aren't great around here - the display shakes when I go over bumps so I thought it would be better if it was shut. Anything I can do to keep it from overheating?

Thanks again.

OP
F

flonejek

well the simple way is to shield the reed switch (just above the mic i think) with a piece of quad folded alfoil stuck to the foam insert they give you, so the laptop cant tell when its shut. As for the heat issue i think flippinng the laptop should work ok as most of the hot parts are on the bottom, and flipping it over will let convection do its job easier. I did it a while ago when I used to leave it on downloading updates, tho now i just crank down the brightness and leave the screen 3/4 shut.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Murlyn said:
My powerbook won't and I wouldnt want it to.. that sucker gets hot as it is.. closing the screen and leaving it on.. oh man it would melt :(

A PowerBook will sleep when closed, but it will wake up if you're using a USB device. This is mainly so you can use it with an external display, keyboard, and mouse. An iBook will not wake with the lid closed, no matter what.

Interesting info, thanks guys. The reason I wanted my screen off is because I use the ibook in the car a lot. It plays music most of the time and when I drive at night....

Sounds like you should start saving up for an iPod :mac:

OP
S

simple

I can fabricate a platform for the ibook in my car, with a fan on the bottom to pull the heat off. That's no problem. Anyone know the name of that aftermarket program that was mentioned above?

Thanks

Simple

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
I think it was called "drive-with-the-windows-down".

Sorry, don't know the real name of the program but I would check macupdate.com and versiontracker.com

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.