learning new operating system

M

mlazuka

Hello,
I have been considering switching to a Mac for awhile now. The only thing thats stopping me right now is my concern for learning the new operating system. After four years I feel like Im just getting to understand XP. I have no experience with Mac with exception to me playing around with them at the Apple store. Can anybody share their experiences about switching and how long it took to feel comfortable with the new operating system? Was it difficult? Thanks for any help.

OP
M

Malakai

mlazuka said:
Hello,
I have been considering switching to a Mac for awhile now. The only thing thats stopping me right now is my concern for learning the new operating system. After four years I feel like Im just getting to understand XP. I have no experience with Mac with exception to me playing around with them at the Apple store. Can anybody share their experiences about switching and how long it took to feel comfortable with the new operating system? Was it difficult? Thanks for any help.

I switched about a week ago after the constant frustration with windows and although Its only been a week I am amazed at how great my G5 is.
I did have someone show me the basics but it really isnt that much different to navigate then windows. I am sure it wont take you long to find your way around. This was also one of the reasons I waited to switch. Wish I would have done it a long time ago.

Reaction score
I am in the same boat as you. My Mac experience begins and ends at the Apple Store. I hope to be placing an order for a Mac Mini very soon. I'm still trying to decide which one to get, and in which configuration. If I really like the system, I'll definetly purchase the system that replaces the G5 in a year or so....whenever it comes to life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram
They're very easy to get used to, it won't take you long to understand the basics and if you hang around these forums I'm sure you'll pick up some more advanced stuff in no time. OS X is so easy to understand, you'll probably understand it better than Windows. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
mate just got for and dont be scared, i was playin with on in PCWorld and found most of the stuff that id want to get at after about 15mins.

They seam easy as pie to use

Reaction score
mlazuka said:
Hello,

If you have any experience with windows 95/98/me/2k/xp, then you will have no problems at all with OS X. You can't hardly tell the difference between them, except you can do things with OS X that you can't do in winders. I would say that within a few days, week at the most, you will be doing everything you can do now, and probably even more. OS X is a very stable operating system without many of the winders problems.

Installing programs is as simple as click or drag, and unstalling is as simple as drag it to the trash. Easy to work with, yet quite powerful. It reminds me quite a bit of linux, but without the problems of linux.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
the os is extremely easy to get used to and work with....

my experience:
i felt dumb at first and thought i was screwing everything up because everything just seemed so easy...turns out i was doing everything correct and it really was that easy....

then i came to this place and my knowlege of my PB increased dramatically....

just ask questions when they come about and we will be sure to all help you out (although macman always beats everybody to the thread and answers before us all)

you will not regret going mac
-chris

OP
M

mlazuka

thanks for the help everybody. Im trying to find someone who has the new Mac OS so I can spend more time on it before I commit to a Mac, they are expensive and I want to be sure that Im making the right choice. I was using my brothers girlfriends Mac but its running the older OS, I think its OS9, I wasnt too impressed with it. So we'll see I guess, thanks for the again everybody

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram
I think a book on OS X would be a waste of money unless you are really interested.

mlazuka - OS X is very different to OS 9. Very very different.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I was in the same boat, took a while to learn every part of Windows XP. Got my Powerbook, and sat down with it for an hour or two. Clicked around, installed programs, I was very impressed. It is so easy, every thing from setting up the network, VPN, the dock, the displays, security, firevault, bluetooth, file sharing, and the acounts, although i only have one account on my system.It is truely one of the best operating systems i have ever used, and so eay to pick up. Grant it, I am still learning some of the aspects of os-x panther, but i am getting really good at it, anybody who was using windows xp and feeling confident with it can switch to a mack and be utterly amazed at is simplicity and its power!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
I bought The Missing Manual for Panther by David Pogue.
Most of the OS is easy to learn but there are a few hidden options that one needs help finding.
Mind you, I like books. :)

OP
P

proudlywelsh83

Try pear pc

If you are looking to convert to Mac might be worth taking a look at Pear PC. Basically it allows you to run a Mac OS on your PC, this way you can play with it to your hearts content, beware it will run slower so you wont be getting the full advantage of the Mac, but it will persuade you to make the switch.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.