Help With Wireless Dsl Macbook Setup

Reaction score
:Confused: :Confused: :Confused: I hope someone out there can help me. I am ready to pull out what's left of my hair:). Last week I bought a Macbook I have a Gateway/Windows XP notebook.My PC wireless setup is through Verizon DSL. A Westell 2200 modem and a Netgear WGT624v3. I have it WEP encrypted. I have tried several times to connect the modem and the router for the MAC and have gotten nowhere. Can I use my current modem and router? If anyone knows how to set it up using very simple instructions ( I am not a techie), it would be greatly appreciated. My other option is to ditch the router and modem and get updated ones. I understand Verizon offers a modem/router combo productt. Also if I can use my current modem/router can I connect my PC and Mac? Thanks in advance

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The first problem is that you're using WEP encryption. WEP is a dead standard as it is very easily hacked with the most basic of tools (can be done in less than 5 minutes). Not only that, but different operating systems and wireless drivers sometimes handle the key entry differently.

The good news is that any router purchased in the last 3-4 years should support WPA. WPA is a far more robust security standard, and it's even easier to use than WEP. You'll need to gain access to your router's configuration web page (this should be handled in the manual). Once you do this, it's simply a matter of finding the wireless security settings. Once you do, simply change it from WEP to WPA. Enter a new password (make sure it's got at least one change of case, one number and one special character - for security reasons) and save the changes.

Once this is done, you'll need to disconnect and reconnect your Gateway notebook. When you do, you'll be prompted for a password, enter the one you just set up on the router.

Secondly, you'll need to connect to the wireless on the MacBook, again entering the password when prompted. Once you do this, you should be all set.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
if you want also, Disable SSID Broadcast on the router, keeps you a little more secure, IMO. let us know if your still having issues.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
if you want also, Disable SSID Broadcast on the router, keeps you a little more secure, IMO. let us know if your still having issues.

Actually, disabling SSID broadcast simply makes it harder for your devices to maintain a connection. Anyone can see a disabled SSID simply by using a WiFi sniffer.

Reaction score
I think you had done a lot to make the router up & running, if it is still not working might be possible that it is a bad unit!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.