Transfering music- viruses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
I'm getting a 20" iMac 2.66 Ghz in the next couple of weeks. Tonight I started organizing my files to be transfered and my boyfriend (who has been an apple user his entire life) mentioned something that got me thinking. Is it possible for my downloaded music files to have a virus that doesn't affect PC's but may affect a Mac?

Reaction score
More than likely, no. Most viruses are designed for PC but it would be possible to get a virus if it was ment for OSX. It's about a 1% chance you're going to get a virus from transferring your music.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
That's what we figured. BUT I do have 16gb of music...which slightly increases my chances.

I may just delete all of it and start fresh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Spork actually exaggerated the number, there is a ZERO chance of you getting a virus when you transfer music from your PC to your Mac unless you actively went out there and purposefully downloaded a Mac virus and inserted it into your music directory.

I transferred music library much larger than yours from my PC to my Mac with no ill effects. No need to waste your time starting over.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel 20", 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, ATI Radeon HD, 250GB hard drive, 8x double-layer SuperDrive
Are you slow?
There's no way to put a virus in a .mp3 or .m4a file...
It's freaking sound.

Reaction score
Aeaus is correct. Your files are audio files. In other words, they would not contain any viruses -_-. Unless you have executable files within the folders which is beyond me because why would that be in a music library.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Are you slow?
It's freaking sound.

Haha. That is correct.

Viruses are usually found in exe files and such others.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
Are you slow?
It's freaking sound.

It was an honest question. No need to be a jerk about it.

To everyone else:
Thanks for your input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel 20", 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, ATI Radeon HD, 250GB hard drive, 8x double-layer SuperDrive
It was an honest question. No need to be a jerk about it.

To everyone else:
Thanks for your input.
Well not to be rude, but I never knew someone could be so computer illiterate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
People have been known to rename xxx.exe files to xxx.mp3.exe and hope that you have the show files extension turned off in windows so it would show as xxx.mp3

M

MacInWin

And, you can imbed executables in image files, so it is theoretically possible to do the same in audio files. Just for now, no one has done that (as far as we know).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Base Model MacBook (White from early 2008)
Man, she had a question. It got answered, you didn't have to be a jerk about it. This is the switcher forum, so she obviously isn't a computer genius, she may even be a really casual user. (Like my mom. She can't even copy and paste.) Really, if you're not going to say anything nice, don't say anything at all. Didn't your mommy teach you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Well not to be rude, but I never knew someone could be so computer illiterate.

LOL! Well then, you've shown your ignorance at least twice in this thread then. At least that is fixable if you are open to learning. Being rude, as you were, can be more difficult to over come. Good luck with that challenge.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
And, you can imbed executables in image files, so it is theoretically possible to do the same in audio files. Just for now, no one has done that (as far as we know).

Exactly!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
I wouldn't think you'd get a virus. Very very unlikely. From what I've heard, there are something like 10 known viruses for Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
He's 14 years old guys! Don't be harsh on Aeaus. :p

Also to OP, don't worry too much about viruses on mac os. :)

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
Thanks guys. I just want to make sure I'm not going to "dirty" up my mac the first day I get it.

By no means am I computer illiterate (and I'm not claiming to be a computer guru for that matter) but I have no interest in defending myself to a 14 year old.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I think this question has been sufficiently dealt with now, so in light of the rather inappropriate posts that have occurred in this thread, I think we'll end it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.