How to get a correct IP address?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel 20", 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, ATI Radeon HD, 250GB hard drive, 8x double-layer SuperDrive
Hey Mac Forums, I need some help regarding changing my IP. I go to the place in System Prefs. to change my IP, and whenever I put one in, it saves that as the IP, but I get no internet connection and have to use my old one again to use the internet.
How do I find a correct IP to input?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT
Your IP Address is assigned to your PC/Mac by the router.

OP
Aeaus
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel 20", 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, ATI Radeon HD, 250GB hard drive, 8x double-layer SuperDrive
I know that, but I want to change it.
I've been following what to do online, but I don't know what to put in for the IPv4.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
The most obvious question is, why do you want to change it? What is your end goal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
You going to have to change it on your router settings and not your computer settings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You going to have to change it on your router settings and not your computer settings.
that will depend on what he's trying to do.

OP
Aeaus
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Then I suggest you find some books (or online documentation) on networking, specifically on TCP/IP networking. This will go a lot farther than simply playing around and randomly changing IP's. Once you understand the logic behind it, changing the IP addresses and subnets will make clear sense :)

OP
Aeaus
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright, thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.