Upgrading

Reaction score
Hi!

I have purchased Windows Vista Home Premium(not upgrade version)
and I dont get a screen to upgrade or Clean Install.(this is running in windows xp)! I do not know any possible way to upgrade and dual booting and new iinstallations are off the list. Microsoft could not help me so maybe you guys can! Is there a way to upgrade through command prompt or something?

Reaction score
Haave you tried booting from the DVD first rather than installing from within Windows XP? Then you might get the install options you need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT
As pjhutch suggested you are required to boot from the Vista Home Premium DVD to perform a clean installation or upgrade.

OP
H
Reaction score
Booting from the DVD is only for a clean install! On every single Boot from CD, Upgrade is always greyed out(not just on mine)!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hazza:

What file system are you currently using for your XP installation on the Boot Camp partition?

Because if you're currently using FAT-32, you can not upgrade it to any version of Vista without doing a clean install. The reason is that Vista must be installed to a NTFS formatted partition.

You can try this work around: Boot to XP, use the built in FAT-32 to NTFS file converter. Windows will convert the FAT-32 file system to NTFS during a reboot. After the file system is converted, you can then try to upgrade to Vista Home Premium from within XP.

Regards.

OP
H
Reaction score
Hi chscag
Very sadly I am using NTFS and always have been!
That is not a solution available. I sthere any command I could use under command prompt to start an Upgrade?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.