Connecting a PC to a wireless network on my time capsule

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I just set up my first Macbook and I've made the switch from a PC. I've set up my wireless network with a Time Capsule and it's working fine. The PC has become a general use computer for my other household members. I've tried connect it wirelessly to the TC with no success. :Shouting: It shows that I've got a network connection but I cannot log onto the internet. I've seen a post saying I may need to change the channel to 9 on the TC. Can anyone tell me how to do that? Also, it mentioned changing my ip on Windows from a static one??? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
If you mean wireless channel then see the image below. I don't have a time capsule (bad for me) But I hope that helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Whoa, B&O, thats a HUGE image! You really should resize that so it's easier to look at. ;)

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
My bad. I am on a rather big monitor and I didn't think too much. I compressed it a little the first time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
My bad. I am on a rather big monitor and I didn't think too much. I compressed it a little the first time.

It's cool, just hard to look at on a lowly 1440x900 monitor. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
Drop to DOS using Start > Run and type CMD and click OK
at the C: \> prompt type IPCONFIG

For your wireless adapter you should see 10.0.1.xxx as your IP where xxx is your assigned address.

If not, you should check your IP settings on your Wireless Adapter in Network Connections and make sure DHCP is checked (unless of course you use a static IP setup on your LAN)

If it is something like 169.x.x.x and you ARE using DHCP, then your computer was not assigned an IP by the TimeCapsule router because there was an error somewhere. Might need to check your driver on the PC wireless adapter. Make sure there isn't any updates from the manufacturer (Not the Microsoft Update Manager)

This is under the assumption that the PC's wireless adapter has previously connected to another wireless network before this Time Capsule.

OP
F
Reaction score
Solved the problem

I have a Linksys Wireless-N adapter that transmits at 2.4GHz. I needed to change the radio setting on the TC to 802.11n (2.4GHz). Also getting the Network equivalent password from the TC for the Linksys to connect. Problem solved! ;D Thanks for the input for those who replied. Hope this may help anyone who may run into a similar problem.

Reaction score
another solution

I had similar problem that my Vaio laptop wouldn't connect to the Timecapsule router, with WPA (or any other security) enabled.

An hour on the phone to Apple Technical Support didn't help, but then I found the solution in a technical note on the Belkin site:

Under Windows XP
  1. go to Control Panel, Network Connections
  2. Right click on your wireless network and select properties
  3. On the Wireless Networks tab ensure "use windows to configure my network connections" is selected
  4. Select your network and click on Properties
  5. In Network Authentication choose WPA-PSK
  6. In Data Encryption choose TKIP
  7. Enter your network key
  8. Hit OK, and it should now work!

I hope this helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.