Western Digital HD- Windows XP - Bootcamp Problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - OS X Lion 10.7 - 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - Bootcamp - Windows 7
Hello,

I just purchased a new 500GB Western Digital External HD and when I use it in Leopard it works perfectly. But when I boot up into Windows XP (Bootcamp) and plug it in, Windows detects it and says that my new hardware is working properly but I cannot locate it in "My Computer". I don't even know the corresponding letter to the drive when its plugged in and I'm in Windows.

The format of the drive according to Mac is:
Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled)

What does this mean, can this work with Windows interchangeably?

Can someone please help?

Thanks,

Steve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac | iPhone 4
Mac OS extended cannot be used in Windows only Mac. Fat 32 can be used interchangeably....

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - OS X Lion 10.7 - 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - Bootcamp - Windows 7
Ah ha, so do you think I should reformat the entire drive to FAT32 or just make a separate partition of FAT32 for Windows. Isn't there a problem with FAT32 and files over 4GB?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My opinion would be if youre using it for both use Fat 32 for both and don't partition... If you are using time machine you cannot use fat32 you have to use os extended, therefore you would have to partition.... as for the files over 4gb i havent heard of that, but doesn't mean its not true.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice, yea I might just partition half of it for now. But i've experienced problems trying to transfer files larger than 4GB to and from FAT32 formatted HDs. thats another frustrating problem I had/have and never found a solution to. Thanks man.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem, good to know though i didn't know that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
just so you know...
OS extended-mac only
Fat32-both windows and mac
NTFS-windows read and write only, and mac read only

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.