Edit AIFF file

S

sdg520

I recorded a radio program using wiretap and created a montser (1.7gb) file. I recorded too much because I didn't know how long the program would run. Now I want to chop it down a little. Is there a SIMPLE :p, free editor available to edit the file?

My Mac: IMac g5 1.8 20" 512ram 160hd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
if you have qt pro, this will take less than 5 minutes to trim, as far as a free app, the only one I can think of is xmp3split, but your aiff would have to be converted using mac3dec or a similiar app to convert to an mp3 and use in xmp3split, though Id recommend the qt pro route.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
o yea, almost 4got about audacity, it has its bugs though, I prefer qt pro or some audio editing software, even soundtrack is good.

OP
V

vtupser

Sound Studio is a really good free audio app. You have like 9 tries until it asks you to register it, but there is a bug in it to get around it.

OP
S

sdg520

I got Audacity, but I'm having a prob: when I open the 1.7g aiff file Audacity says "importing mp3 file" and when it's done it produces a .815 second long file from a 10 hour plus aiff file.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I would go with Sound Studio. You have a fourteen day trial period to resolve your problem.

OP
W

Wapa18

itunes edits song files. import it into itunes, select the file, do a 'get info', set the start and end times whenever you want them to be, click OK, then go up to the advanced menu and select 'convert selection to mp3' (or aac, or aiff--whatever you want it to be).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
i use SoundTrack, and GarageBand should be able to do the trick. then pop it into iTunes, or QT pro to compress to mp3 or preferrably m4a(aac)

OP
S

sdg520

I appreciate all the suggestions, but I may have gotten in over my head here. I didn't even know what an AIFF file was until I got Wiretap. I am not techo proficient at all. So maybe I haven't been clear about my level of ability(technologically speaking) or my intent: I am tech non-sophisticated; I want to keep the file uncompressed; I want to chop off about two and a half hours from the end; and, if possible, I want to slice out a few pieces in between.

Like I said, I may be in over my head here. Maybe I need to learn a few things before I can do this. Fortunately, I've got lots of room left on my HD so I can leave the file there until I learn how to do this, or until I lose interest and just toss the file.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.