Three problems with my new mac

Reaction score
1. After the screen saver kicks in and the screen goes blank, the computer goes to sleep, even though I set it up to never go to sleep.

2. I tried repairing the permissions and I get this message:
"Started verify/repair permissions on disk disk0s2 Macintosh HD
Permissions differ on "private/var/log/secure.log", should be -rw------- , they are -rw-r-----
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/OwnerGroupTool" has been modified and will not be repaired
Group differs on "private/etc/cups", should be 0, group is 26
Permissions differ on "private/var/spool/cups/cache/rss", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are drwxrwxr-x"

3. I verified and get this: "/Users/dserban2/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iphotomosaic.plist:
Conversion of data failed. The file is not UTF-8, or in the encoding specified in XML header if XML."

Thank you for helping!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, Black, 13.3 inch, glossy screen, super cool
Did you try calling Applecare?

OP
D
Reaction score
No, but I will. In order to get a competent response from them I have to be on the phone for hours.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Have you tried deleting everything in your ~/Library/Preferences folder? This would be the easiest way to deal with wonky preference files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
is it safe to delete ALL the files

I'm having the same response. oh, my computer is soooooo slow. not like a mac. ( I've owned them for years.){smile}
Discerptor asked
"Have you tried deleting everything in your ~/Library/Preferences folder? This would be the easiest way to deal with wonky preference files."

Is that Okay/safe????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Put your OS X cd in, boot up holding C and select Disk Utility from the drop down menu. Then do a disk repair.

There's a limit to what Disk Repair can fix within OSX because it can't mess too much with system files. Booting from the CD means it has access to all files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.