• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Capture video from camcorder

Reaction score
Hi,
I am a Mac newbie.....
I have just bought my firm Mac, an iMac. I have a sony handycam HC44 and I am trying to caputer video footage with iMovie08 (looked very easy at the applestore).
I am using the firewire cable purchased from Sony (4pin to 6pin).
iMovie08 does not appear to recognise my camcorder, in fact the only device it does recognise when I try to caputure / import is the icamera.

Any ideas? Any help would be great...

Thanks in advance
Paul
:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.2Ghz, 4GB Memory, 120GB HDD, LCD Display, OS X Tiger
Sony's don't have a great reputation for compatibility with macs. You can google your model number with some other keywords to see if others using iMovie are having any success.

Reaction score
sometimes you have to turn on your camera after iMovie is also open sometimes you have to open iMovie after you turn on your camera. I don't know why it is so fickle but I have this problem with my Panasonic camera. Maybe it is just because iMovie 08 kind of sucks :p Anyway, I've found that if I restart iMovie a couple of times I can get it to recognize my camera. Good luck. You can also download iMovie 06 for free if you already have iMovie 08. Unfortunately 06 doesn't do widescreen, just letterboxing :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13-inch 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook
You can capture a still image from a video but you have to do it on the actual camera. It's explained in the handycam handbook, a pdf download (free) on Sony's website.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.