I need help connecting my macbook to a TV

Reaction score
I'd like to connect my macbook to my phillips LCD to play downloads from itunes etc. I have got a mini dvi to vga adapter and a vga cable. When I connect the tv to my mac the picture from my desktop screen comes up but nothing else will play. I looked on forums and it said to check in system preferences --> display and when I did this I could see the display screen on the tv but that was it.

ANyone know where I am going wrong?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're probably using the wrong kind of cable. The mini DVI to VGA adapter cable from your MacBook is OK. You then should connect the adapter cable to a VGA cable which terminates in three RCA connectors: Left Audio, Right Audio, Video. (Red, White, Yellow). Attach the three RCA connectors to your TV input and you'll receive stereo audio and video.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You're probably using the wrong kind of cable. The mini DVI to VGA adapter cable from your MacBook is OK. You then should connect the adapter cable to a VGA cable which terminates in three RCA connectors: Left Audio, Right Audio, Video. (Red, White, Yellow). Attach the three RCA connectors to your TV input and you'll receive stereo audio and video.

Regards.

I cannot begin to describe how horribly wrong this piece of advice is. For starters, the mini-DVI connector on the Macbook only outputs video, not audio. Now I have never seen a VGA cable that terminates in RCA connectors (only VGA to component), but even if there were such a thing, it wouldn't do you any good as the two audio cables would be useless.

Second, it seems as though he has already managed to connect his Macbook to his TV since he can see his wallpaper on the TV. Looks like we have a simple case of the OP being confused about mirroring the notebook's monitor and using it as a secondary screen.

trio, you can see your wallpaper because the TV is set to be used as a second monitor. If you drag something over to one of the sides of your Macbook you'll see it move over to the TV. If you want it so that everything on your Macbook is shown on the TV, then you need to change some settings. Go into System Preferences, click on Displays, and change the setting to Mirror.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.