internet access how?

LDB

Reaction score
I'm a Mac wannabe at the moment. When I replace my HP notebook I'd like to switch over to a Macbook or maybe a MBP. My question relates to internet connectivity. I know if I'm around a wifi provider I can use that. I currently use a Sprint aircard for other times. My questions are 1. will the Sprint aircard work with whatever Mac notebook I might get?, 2. can I use my iPhone with whatever Mac notebook to do what the Sprint card is currently doing for me? and 2a. if the answer to 2 is yes would that be included in my current monthly fee to ATT that includes unlimited data? Thanks for any and all input.

Reaction score
Hi,

I don't have an iPhone and therefore have not used it as a tethered modem (which is what you are asking about). However, if it helps, I had read on AT&T website that it CAN be used as a tethered modem, but for that you have to pay more than the regular unlimited data plan. So legally speaking unless you have that additional plan you will not be able to use it as a tethered modem but once you add on the additional plan, you can use it as a tethered modem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" alum iMac 2.4 3 gigs ram
Well when I bought my iMac in January I hooked up a sprint mobile broadband aircard to it using a USB port. I don't have DSL or cable internet access in my area so I use the sprint USB modem which beats dialup by a mile. Sprint will help you set it up on a Mac. I pay 60 bucks monthly to Sprint which is a lot more than if DSL was available but I'm stuck with sprint till DSL becomes available in my area. It works pretty good however.

OP
LDB

LDB

Reaction score
I pay the same $60 a month but I have it for travel. I own a small fleet of trucks and drive one. I can be anywhere in the country and wanted internet in the truck. Not having any Apple experience I wasn't sure if I could just plug the Sprint card into a usb port and go or not. I also thought if I could use my iPhone I could drop the card and save the $60 a month.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
To the best of my knowledge, the iPhone can not be tethered to a compter for internet access. There was an App that allowed you to do so but Apple pulled it from the store. There may be ways around this but they are outside of what is allowed in this forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" alum iMac 2.4 3 gigs ram
Hey LDB, well I had also installed that USB sprint modem software on my windows laptop and I can get on line with my windows pc. As long as you are in a sprint area where you can get a signal you will be able to use it. I can just switch that modem from my iMac to my windows laptop to get on line. I hope this info helps some.

OP
LDB

LDB

Reaction score
That does help. Thanks. I figured it should work since it's a usb plugin device but wasn't sure. I figured someone was either using it or had tried it and could say yes it works or no it doesn't.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.