New home network - file sharing & music

Reaction score
Hi all,
This may have been covered many times but I can't find the ultimate answer to what I'm looking for!
I'm using a MacBook 4,1 with Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz and also use an IBM Thinkpad (for work). Currently using a basic Linksys router for wireless access at home and it works great.
What I'm looking to do is upgrade to a home network that will allow me to:
1/. Connect wirelessly to external hard drive across both laptops to access all files and watch movies, play music, view photos, etc.
2/. Connect speaker set (preferably USD powered) to the same router that also uses the hard drive and play music wirelessly through those speakers.

I have checked the Airport Express, which will satisfy the music requirements but can't connect a hard drive, while the Extreme will take care of the hard drive but not the speakers.

I've checked out quite a few forums on NAS devices and other routers that can accommodate hard drives and speakers but can't seem to find one that can support both functions (without costing the earth).

Anyone have any suggestions for a setup that will let me watch movies, view files and play music, all wirelessly? Want to keep router, hard drive and speakers tucked neatly aware in a corner.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Not sure if I should provide more detailed info, I'm sure you'll let me know if I have

Thanks in advance! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.