Signature Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
As you can see, in my signature I have a little banner that says Mac user.

I've seen other people who have the same banners, except they have more than one, each banner fades into another one, sort of like a slideshow. How do you do this? Would you do it in iPhoto somehow and save it as a project?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
iPhoto would not be able to do something like that....

You would need something along the lines of photoshop or another animated GIF creater program...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
You can use Photoshop's built-in animation feature to add frames, set the duration of each frame, and if you want to have it continuously looped.

Basically, take all your banners and put them each on a new layer. Afterwards, with the animation window open, you add new frames, and for each frame, have the image you want visible, but the others not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
And for some reason, it won't let me edit my posts..

Anyways, here's a quick tutorial on how you to make your animated signature picture

First, open all the images you want to use in the same document, but have them all in their own layers
-
1.jpg

Next, open the Animation window. Window > Animation
-
Picture3.png

Once the animation palette is open, you'll see the timeline with the first frame already in place. What you want to do here is to hide all of the layers, except the image you want to appear first in the loop.
-
Picture4.png

In the bottom of the Animation palette, you'll see a button with a smaller square inside of a larger square (beside the trash can button). This will duplicate the frame you have selected. Click that button to duplicate the frame. Once the frame is duplicated, in the Layers palette, make the next image you want shown in the animation visible, and hide everything else
-
Picture5.png

Duplicate the previous frame in the Animation palette, and repeat the previous step, with the next image in your animation.
-
Picture6.png

Again, repeat the previous step as necessary, for however many images you want in the animation.
-
Picture7.png

Once all the images are in their own frames, set the number of times the animation will loop. Right below the first frame will be a drop-down menu that you can select the loop duration. To constantly loop it (this is what you'll want), select "Forever."
-
Picture8.png

Once the loop duration is selected, you'll need to set the frame duration. Under each frame, there's a drop-down menu with a time setting in it. For best results of this animated image, 0.5 seconds work best. Set each frame to 0.5 seconds.
-
Picture9-2.png

Now, all you have to do is save the image and upload it to your favorite hosting site, and drop it in your signature.

I saved mine in GIF format, which is standard for animated web pictures, so you can do so. I used Photobucket to host the image, and here is the result.

stingray_animation.gif

Enjoy and have fun! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Just make sure that your signature meets our size and dimension guidelines in the forum rules. Many animated signatures are too large.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Nice tutorial there Darkbar!

That's definitely the way to go if you want something a bit more personal!

If you just want a few of those standard usersbar's to be animated, you can also try one of the online generators:
Userbar Animator - Animate Your Userbars!

OP
KeithTeeple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all the help guys, and especially that awesome tutorial. I have a program called Pencil that I just downloaded that can do just that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Aww thanks guys! :D

Don't use a generator! Use Photoshop and do it yourself! You'll get much more satisfaction out of it. Don't be lazy kids ;)

OP
KeithTeeple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I'll get on it. All I have to do is get a bunch of images :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Just make your own user bars.. Maybe tomorrow when I'm not feeling dopey from cough meds, I'll post a simple User Bar tutorial as well.

OP
KeithTeeple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I found a site that makes user bars, it generates them. So I can just download those images.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT
A simpler way would be uploading your images to a website which creates the animation for you.

Heres a link: http://www.Gickr.com

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.