Network Extension....

Reaction score
Hey folks. I have a wireless connection from my imac to the internet via a combo adsl modem and wireless router which is located in my living room (there's no phone line in my office). i also have an old PC that i would like to connect to the internet from my home office but it doesn't have a wireless card. BUT I have an airport extreme base station which is no longer in use because of the modem/router combo.

I figured that old PC + airport base station + wireless router = connectivity, but i'm not having any freakin luck here. it seems like there should be a way for the airport base station to connect to the router wirelessly and then plug my pc into the airport and be in business, but for the life of me i can't figure it out.

i'm kinda new at all this wireless networking stuff (you probably figured that out already), so I'm not sure if this constitutes wireless network extension or setting up a WDS, but i've tried both of those (through the airport base station) with no effect.

when i went the wireless network extension route, everything seemed fine (i got the green light on the airport) but there was no connectivity when i plugged in the PC.

when I try the WDS route, i don't get very far at all. i'm starting to think that it's not even possible with the airport base station and my non-apple router (it's an 'Alice Gate 2 Plus Wi-Fi')

Any help on setting all this up would be really appreciated. And if there's a better way to do this, I'd appreciate any advice on that too.

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.